News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on September 25, 2015, 11:48:43 AM
You are silly, Syt. Those are FLDS. They hardly represent the modern sect.
:yes:

There's an extreme prejudice against Mormons around here due to Spellus's venom about them, but they really are nice people.  I mean, I don't agree with anything they say and their religion is crazy, but they are kind, well-behaved, friendly, and clean people for sure.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

I've never actually met a Mormon. At least, one that I know about.

Except once, a pair of them showed up, bizzarely, at the place where I was working on a university of Toronto archeological dig site, after the work was done for the day - they wanted to go from tent to tent proselytizing. They were politely shooed away.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2015, 11:57:21 AM

That's surprising.  I've met loads of them.  Maybe it's more an Alberta thing (in particular southern Alberta has a lot of mormons).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2015, 11:50:41 AM
There's an extreme prejudice against Mormons around here due to Spellus's venom about them, but they really are nice people.  I mean, I don't agree with anything they say and their religion is crazy, but they are kind, well-behaved, friendly, and clean people for sure.

:hmm:

I would say their reputation around here is that they are generally nice people in a wacky cult, and that Spellus has had little effect on that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2015, 12:02:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2015, 11:57:21 AM

That's surprising.  I've met loads of them.  Maybe it's more an Alberta thing (in particular southern Alberta has a lot of mormons).

They are thin on the ground here. But then, I could have met lots of them and just not known their religion.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2015, 12:03:32 PM
I would say their reputation around here is that they are generally nice people in a wacky cult, and that Spellus has had little effect on that.

Yep. Their religion may be dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb even as far as religions go but they are nice enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2015, 11:50:41 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 25, 2015, 11:48:43 AM
You are silly, Syt. Those are FLDS. They hardly represent the modern sect.
:yes:

I've known quite a few (they're well represented in my work specialty), and they've all been nice, decent, down-to-earth folks (with maybe one or two exceptions).  And as for the religion being crazy, it's not really any more crazy than any religion is already.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 25, 2015, 12:20:03 PM
they've all been nice, decent, down-to-earth folks (with maybe one or two exceptions).

Well when you put it like that I could basically say that about most demographics of people I have come into contact with.

QuoteAnd as for the religion being crazy, it's not really any more crazy than any religion is already.

I am going to go ahead and disagree with you there. Certainly there are many religions far more crazy than Mormonism but there are plenty less crazy. Maybe in your world hearing somebody is joining the Methodist church is just as insane as joining a ISIS-affiliated Salafist group but I do think there are religions that demand more craziness from its adherents than others.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2015, 12:35:10 PM
I am going to go ahead and disagree with you there. Certainly there are many religions far more crazy than Mormonism but there are plenty less crazy. Maybe in your world hearing somebody is joining the Methodist church is just as insane as joining a ISIS-affiliated Salafist group but I do think there are religions that demand more craziness from its adherents than others.

Yes.

Mormons believe in:

-Jesus visited the Americas
-no coffee
-blacks couldn't join till the 70s
-people can become Gods themselves
-Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from gold plates (that no one ever saw) using magic stones
-and of course, magic underpants
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

They also believe the lost tribe of Israel sailed across the Pacific to Mexico. :contract:  :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2015, 12:35:10 PM

Yes.

Mormons believe in:

-Jesus visited the Americas
-no coffee
-blacks couldn't join till the 70s
-people can become Gods themselves
-Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from gold plates (that no one ever saw) using magic stones
-and of course, magic underpants
How is that more crazy than other religious traditions? Moses got the Ten Commandments on stone plates from a burning bush. Jesus could walk over water and resurrect from the dead, so visiting the Americas seems a small feat. Buddha achieved a godlike status. Mohammed met angels and teleported to Jerusalem.

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2015, 01:37:26 PM

How is that more crazy than other religious traditions? Moses got the Ten Commandments on stone plates from a burning bush. Jesus could walk over water and resurrect from the dead, so visiting the Americas seems a small feat. Buddha achieved a godlike status. Mohammed met angels and teleported to Jerusalem.

Well, I think a religion gains respectibility a bit if the miracles they claim all happened comfortably long ago in the ancient past. If someone says that, in some legendary past, a man once became a god in a body of mythology they believe in, that's a lot easier to consider a non-insane belief than if someone says that *they* are became a god, yesterday.

That's why Judaism is the most respectable religion around today.  :Joos

DGuller

I always found the mocking of Mormons due to the nature of their beliefs weird.  Are you telling me that all the other religions are that much more plausible?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2015, 01:37:26 PM
How is that more crazy than other religious traditions?

Same question: Joining the Methodists or ISIS affiliated Salafist group. Equally crazy or not? I need to understand where you are coming from here.

And BB is only scratching the surface.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2015, 01:45:28 PM
I always found the mocking of Mormons due to the nature of their beliefs weird.  Are you telling me that all the other religions are that much more plausible?

The plausibility is not the issue.