And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2016, 07:53:01 AM
What I take from this right now is how

1) Polls & Pollster don't work anymore. Brexit, Liberal Party win Canada, NDP win in Alberta, Trump. They can't predict shit anymore.

2) The Liberal media bias is real. We only ever talk about ourselves.

Brexit polls weren't off by more than the margin of error. We just didn't want to believe them

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2016, 05:01:25 AM
It really is a shame the GOP establishment is so spineless or we could see some real Machiavellian shit go down once Trump is convicted of fraud. Pence and Ryan stabbing Trump in the back House of Cards style to impeach him and put a "real" conservative in the Oval Office.

Tim, how have you not yet learned that you are a dumbass?

How is he going to get convicted of fraud? The fraud case against him is a civil case. A criminal case won't be brought against a sitting US president.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

It seems that it was a team effort of David Bowie and Prince holding sanity in the world together, and once they're gone reality has unravelled.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2016, 08:06:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2016, 05:01:25 AM
It really is a shame the GOP establishment is so spineless or we could see some real Machiavellian shit go down once Trump is convicted of fraud. Pence and Ryan stabbing Trump in the back House of Cards style to impeach him and put a "real" conservative in the Oval Office.

Tim, how have you not yet learned that you are a dumbass?

How is he going to get convicted of fraud? The fraud case against him is a civil case. A criminal case won't be brought against a sitting US president.

Also, it really shows one to be spineless if one does not initiate impeachment of your presidential candidate immediately after he is elected, I guess.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2016, 08:07:41 AM
It seems that it was a team effort of David Bowie and Prince holding sanity in the world together, and once they're gone reality has unravelled.

Funnily enough, both flirted with some weird politics and ideology - Bowie supported Reagan in the 80s, and Prince was a conservative Jehowah Witness who would probably agree with most of the shit Pence says.

On a day like this we have to remember that the world is a rich tapestry of crazy but somehow things do work out in the end most of the time.

alfred russel

So weird. GOP loses ground in the House and Senate, but takes back the presidency with the most unpopular major candidate in modern history.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Fate

What the fuck happened in Ohio, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan? 2008/2012 Obama voters seem like they just didn't turn out.

Last night in those states Trump got about the same number of votes as Romney did in 2012.

But Obama got 300k more votes in Michigan over Clinton, 220k in Wisconsin, 200k in Minnesota, and 500k in Ohio.

Kind of a more mixed story in Pennsylvania. Clinton is 100k down relative to Obama in Pennsylvania in 2012 but Trump is up by 200k over Romney.

Turnout was definitely up in Florida on both sides. Clinton outperformed Obama in absolute number of votes in each state over 2012 but Trump found a hell of a lot of new voters over Romney.

The Minsky Moment

Another interpretation is that Obama voters turned out but some voted for the other guy.

The dynamics also differed by state.  For example, Trump polled well behind Portman in Ohio, who is a free trader.  Ohio looks more like a red shift than a Trump shift. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2016, 07:52:34 AM
A friend of mine posted an exit poll stat showing that 33% of Latino male voters supported Trump.

:mellow:

:wacko:

El caudillo norteamericano

Trump won big with the Cubans in Florida during the primaries; soundly beating Rubio in that demographic.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HisMajestyBOB

So where did the Democratic Party go wrong, and more importantly, where do they go from here?
It's beyond Hillary: the Dems simply can't win at any level.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

derspiess

Looks like the Cigar Aficionado poll got it right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

When I was in college I had a professor who had been politically active in Michigan's state political scene his whole life.  He was a member of the State Board of Education for t number of years.  I had his class the day after Bill Clinton won the election in 1992.  He said something to the effect that while he didn't want that result; he'd be a damn dumb Republican to hope that Clinton failed.

I thought of that this morning.  While Trump isn't the man I would have wanted to win; I'd be a damn dumb well, independent, to hope he failed.  So best of luck Donnie; and congratulations to all the deplorable whatever basket you may be in.  :cheers:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 09, 2016, 08:42:57 AM
So where did the Democratic Party go wrong, and more importantly, where do they go from here?
It's beyond Hillary: the Dems simply can't win at any level.

They gained seats in the Senate; and will almost certainly take control of the Senate and probably the house as well in 2018.

Martinus

Incidentally, this election paradoxically proves that despite all the money in US politics and the strength of the corporate and media establishment, they can't do shit if the people make up their mind about something. This, if nothing else, should be seen as a positive.

Berkut

The question isn't what I want, the question is what do I think will happen?

Trump is still Trump.  He is still completely unqualified and completely unsuited to the job, to a dangerous degree.

I don't want him to fail, but I am almost certain he is going to fail. The question is how do we mitigate the damage.

The set of possible outcomes at this point range from catastrophic, in the very literal sense of the word, to just incredibly bad.

Here is to hoping for "just incredibly bad".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned