News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

BB, there are over 300m people in the country. A centralized ground game only gets you so far.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2016, 12:50:06 AM
BB, there are over 300m people in the country. A centralized ground game only gets you so far.

It's a country that looks to have given Hillary the nod by 1% in the popular vote.  Apparently a ground game gets you pretty much nothing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

OK, the BBC invited talking heads are now just talking bollocks, well stuff that is just filler and utterly unimportant as compared to the result of the election.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 12:46:48 AM
Okay, so I always figured myself as a smart and experienced political operator.  I was a Campaign Manager twice - once Federally, once provincially (we predictably got smoked each time as each time we ran against really strong incumbents).

One of the things I was taught, and always believed, was that a "ground game" was important.  Identify your vote, get them out to vote on election day.

That was one of the things Trump scoffed at - and one of the reasons I thought he would lose.  He had no ground game, no GOTV effort, nothing.  Just the power of earned media and his celebrity.

I guess maybe I was wrong about what I thought was important in politics.  And maybe Trump, as stupid as he is, was right. :unsure:
I'm still not convinced enough to give Trump credit for all his wins.  He was just a stupidly reckless poker player who kept going all-in, and accidentally got into a game full of wimps.  Sometimes those reckless morons live charmed lives and never run into aces with a lot of chips in the middle for far longer than seems possible.  Eventually it catches up with them, eventually...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 12:48:18 AM
Yeah, I wasn't slightly saddened by Languish's failure to comment on the return of Zombie Aoun, not even a pip from CdM.

:lol:  I noticed that blip earlier tonight, but quite frankly I have bigger fucking problems. 

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 12:53:59 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 12:46:48 AM
Okay, so I always figured myself as a smart and experienced political operator.  I was a Campaign Manager twice - once Federally, once provincially (we predictably got smoked each time as each time we ran against really strong incumbents).

One of the things I was taught, and always believed, was that a "ground game" was important.  Identify your vote, get them out to vote on election day.

That was one of the things Trump scoffed at - and one of the reasons I thought he would lose.  He had no ground game, no GOTV effort, nothing.  Just the power of earned media and his celebrity.

I guess maybe I was wrong about what I thought was important in politics.  And maybe Trump, as stupid as he is, was right. :unsure:
I'm still not convinced enough to give Trump credit for all his wins.  He was just a stupidly reckless poker player who kept going all-in, and accidentally got into a game full of wimps.  Sometimes those reckless morons live charmed lives and never run into aces with a lot of chips in the middle for far longer than seems possible.  Eventually it catches up with them, eventually...

The man looks set to be the next POTUS.  Summer 2015 his candidacy was a laughingstock.  Hell two weeks ago his candidacy was a laughingstock.

You don't have to like the man (I don't) to be willing to give him some sort of credit for this unbelievable win.

mongers

Nikkei down 6.1% at one stage.

London futures down 4%.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I just had a beautiful fantasy: I wake up tomorrow and read that the KGB hacked the results.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 12:58:57 AM
I just had a beautiful fantasy: I wake up tomorrow and read that the KGB hacked the results.

I was thinking the same thing.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 12:58:57 AM

I had a similar one, I'd wake up tomorrow morning and it will all have been a bad dream.

Barrister