2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/21/hillary-clinton-black-millennial-voters

QuoteWhy should we trust you? Hillary's big problem with young black Americans
In the 1990s, Democrats helped shift the national conversation away from systemic racism. If the country's first black president could not disrupt the racial status quo, what can we expect Clinton to accomplish?

This headline and subheadline on Guardian made me laugh. It doesn't really matter, young black Americans, at this point you really don't have any other options. You begrudgingly vote for Hil or you embrace Trump who thinks you are all living in the inner city that looks like Aleppo.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2016, 08:14:21 AM
Or stay home and don't vote.

Making the perfect the enemy of the good is, indeed, the fashion reformers are always shooting their own feet off. Might as well continue that tradition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I'm just saying if neither candidate does it for you, you're not as motivated to vote.  I'm not much of a voting geek to stay home, but in this election I can't blame others for doing so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Hmmm.... I haven't stayed at the Trump in Chicago in a while, mainly because at some point this spring our corporate rate suddenly disappeared out of Concur, and I get shit if I spend more than $400/night when I'm in Chicago on lodging. :hmm:

With Empty Rooms and Bookings Plummeting, Trump Hotels Are Taking a Beating
by HARRIET BASKAS

Donald Trump may already be calling for a recount of votes in what he claims will be a rigged election — but he may also want to recount the empty rooms at his hotels.

The Republican presidential nominee's actions out on the campaign trail don't seem to be doing much for occupancy rates at his chain of five-star Trump-branded hotels.

While the Los Angeles Dodgers stayed at the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago this past May, its Mexican-American first baseman Adrian Gonzalez would not.

"I had my reasons," is all Gonzalez would say about the lodging choices, but at least one newspaper linked the choice to Trump's anti-Mexican campaign statements.

Bookings at the newly opened Trump International Hotel, Washington, D.C. on Pennsylvania Avenue also seem to be bearing the brunt of this contentious election cycle.

When it had its soft opening in September, rack rates for the basic 410-square "deluxe" rooms started at over $575 a night.

Checking the hotel's online booking site, that same room type is now available for an unrestricted rate of $505, with a discount to $404 for AAA members, for at least the next two weekends and for the weekend after the presidential election.

By comparison, when searching Expedia for a five-star hotel in Washington, D.C., next weekend, a room at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. is available for $655 a night, while the Hay-Adams and others show as sold out.

The Trump family plans an official ribbon-cutting and press conference for the D.C. hotel on October 26, but for now, it's the falling room rates that are getting noticed.

Despite its prime location and promotional mentions by Donald Trump himself, "empty rooms have forced hotel to reduce rates during the peak season," noted New York Magazine.

Just drove past @TrumpDC. Looked pretty empty and abandoned. #DebateNight
— Martha Simms (@msimms01) October 20, 2016

But Mickael Damelincourt, the hotel's managing director, disagreed with this characterization, telling NBC News "the opening of Trump International Hotel, Washington, D.C., has been the most successful in terms of opening bookings, interest from groups and large events."

Nevertheless, according to travel site Hipmunk, bookings for Trump-branded hotels in New York, Las Vegas, and Chicago continue to plummet, down more than 58 percent during the first half of 2016 as compared to the first half of 2015.

"While the Trump name is a powerful brand name, it may also carry some negative connotation with travelers from around the world," noted Keven Murphy, chair of the Hospitality Services Department, at Rosen College of Hospitality Management in Orlando.

Perhaps that's why Trump's newest hotel line, announced last month, won't bear his name at all: The Trump Organization has dropped the name completely, going for Scion, which means "descendant of a notable family," the company's news release explained.

Wow !!! Trump won't put his name on new hotels. Even he knows his brand is over. Say goodnight Donnie. https://t.co/ue9erP8Dnh
— Mark Cuban (@mcuban) October 19, 2016

The name is "a nod to the Trump family and to the tremendous success it has had with its businesses," said Trump Hotels Chief Executive Officer Eric Danziger, in a statement.

Make sense, says Murphy of Rosen College: "With the advent of the shared economy and the rise of the purchasing power of the Millennial generation, hotel strategies have changed and this may be the reason for the new Scion name."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Trump is disgusting, but I have no problem staying in a Trump hotel.  Politics and business decisions are separate.  I am actually quite curious about Trump hotels and may consider listing it as one of the things that I need to do before I die. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 21, 2016, 08:56:02 AM
Trump is disgusting, but I have no problem staying in a Trump hotel.  Politics and business decisions are separate.  I am actually quite curious about Trump hotels and may consider listing it as one of the things that I need to do before I die. 

I don't understand the Mono political strategy. You consider somebody dangerous and disgusting but you would neither vote against them nor make business decisions based on your considerations. So being an enemy of Mono is basically the same as being a friend of Mono.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2016, 09:14:19 AM

I don't understand the Mono political strategy. You consider somebody dangerous and disgusting but you would neither vote against them nor make business decisions based on your considerations. So being an enemy of Mono is basically the same as being a friend of Mono.

There is no such thing as the Mono political strategy.  I am powerless.  Just an observer.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 21, 2016, 09:17:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2016, 09:14:19 AM

There is no such thing as the Mono political strategy.  I am powerless.  Just an observer.

Sounds like Trump is getting hurt by many powerless people. Weird.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2016, 05:14:14 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/21/hillary-clinton-black-millennial-voters

QuoteWhy should we trust you? Hillary's big problem with young black Americans
In the 1990s, Democrats helped shift the national conversation away from systemic racism. If the country's first black president could not disrupt the racial status quo, what can we expect Clinton to accomplish?

How about not go backwards?  Isn't that a pretty damn good reason to vote?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I'd say the status quo has been disrupted during the Obama presidency.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Lawyers are moving in the Trump University case to exclude the introduction of any evidence about Trump's grabby issues, to avoid unfairly prejudicing the jury.

Understandable move, but the idea of finding an unprejudiced jury is pretty amusing at this point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2016, 02:00:20 PM
Lawyers are moving in the Trump University case to exclude the introduction of any evidence about Trump's grabby issues, to avoid unfairly prejudicing the jury.

Understandable move, but the idea of finding an unprejudiced jury is pretty amusing at this point.

What about one chosen from Mexican or Honduran migrants, they're unlikely know much about him?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

OMG! Apparently Hillary's campaign is on fire due to these BREAKING revelations first published on Breitbart!

http://patriotjournal.com/breaking-fbi-set-fire-hillary-frequently-blatantly/

QuoteThe FBI has just released a treasure trove of documents that contrast her behavior as Secretary of State with that of her counterpart during the Bush administration, Condoleezza Rice.

Charlie Spiering of Breitbart reports on what "a professional who served on Clinton's protective detail" told the Bureau:

"Rice observed strict adherence to State Department security and diplomatic protocols while Clinton frequently and 'blatantly' disregarded them," the interview notes read.

Clinton frequently refused to arrive at foreign diplomatic functions with the local ambassador, choosing her chief of staff Huma Abedin to ride in the vehicle with her instead.

"This frequently resulted in complaints by ambassadors who were insulted and embarrassed by this breach of protocol," the report read.

Even more damning:
QuoteShe also insisted that her driver roll down his window during a journey through "Palestinian territory," despite the obvious risk this posed to his safety.

As the article itself concludes:
QuoteDoesn't this imperious, irresponsible attitude alone make Hillary Clinton unfit to hold the highest office in the land?

It seems Clinton's done after all. How can anyone vote for a president who had the window rolled down while in Palestine?