2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2016, 01:52:52 PM
This thread is for talking about Trump taking a greasy shit on the democracy established via the US Constitution for the whole world to see, not for you guys arguing about the US Constitution's alleged magnificence.  :P

I guess it depends. If Trump loses this is a proof that the US Constitution is doing good. :D

OttoVonBismarck

The U.S. Constitution certainly has flaws, and isn't fully in step with the needs of a modern representative state, but it's one of the most influential documents in human history (yes, really), and one of the preeminent texts of the enlightenment, there's no "alleged" in terms of its magnificence.

As an addendum, and something I oft have to remind Canadians--Canada is a great country, but not an important one, historically or culturally. I think that makes you unfamiliar with what it's like when your country is in fact, not just a great one, but the most important on Earth.

Malthus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2016, 02:08:40 PM
The U.S. Constitution certainly has flaws, and isn't fully in step with the needs of a modern representative state, but it's one of the most influential documents in human history (yes, really), and one of the preeminent texts of the enlightenment, there's no "alleged" in terms of its magnificence.

As an addendum, and something I oft have to remind Canadians--Canada is a great country, but not an important one, historically or culturally. I think that makes you unfamiliar with what it's like when your country is in fact, not just a great one, but the most important on Earth.

I guess the compulsive need to "remind" Canadians of the importance of America arises in particular when the magnificence of the American democratic system makes itself particularly manifest, as it has this year.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Hey not just any country can seriously consider its most legendary sleazebag for the highest office! I mean outside of Italy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Not that anybody even had the slightest doubt, but GHW Bush had a bit more class than The Donald.

Admiral Yi

Did Bubba leak that?  By tradition those president to president notes have been totally private.  Great tradition, hate to see it broken like that.

Valmy

Reagan also had very encouraging words for Bill. Times were different back then. Of course supposedly when Slick Willy left office his staff trashed the place for Dubya. But I don't know the facts behind that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2016, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2016, 02:08:40 PM

I guess the compulsive need to "remind" Canadians of the importance of America arises in particular when the magnificence of the American democratic system makes itself particularly manifest, as it has this year.  ;)

it more varies with my level of contact with Canadians--which I try to minimize.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2016, 03:30:13 PM
Reagan also had very encouraging words for Bill. Times were different back then. Of course supposedly when Slick Willy left office his staff trashed the place for Dubya. But I don't know the facts behind that.

Former Presidents get along fairly well.  Except Carter.  Nobody seems to get along with Carter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

There was no "supposedly" about it.  I mean "trashed" was a bit strong.

Apparently though Bush 43 was very determined to have a smooth and easy transfer of power, and Obama has spoken highly of him for it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2016, 03:34:37 PM

it more varies with my level of contact with Canadians--which I try to minimize.

Hey, vote for Trump then. He'll build a wall along the border. Or maybe we will.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2016, 03:48:45 PM

Former Presidents get along fairly well.  Except Carter.  Nobody seems to get along with Carter.

He's history's greatest monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5EFYlJlMpQ

OttoVonBismarck

Carter is a lecturing curmudgeon so doesn't tend to make people super friendly toward him, he does some good works but is also an asshat when it comes to criticizing  the dude currently in the Oval Office; particularly odd given his own disastrously failed Presidency.

As for keeping Canadians out, sadly with the internet a physical wall is no proper bar.

CountDeMoney

Carter was awesome.  The sad fact is that a post-Vietgate America was simply too deep in the mud of cynicism to truly appreciate Carter's approach to government.

The Minsky Moment

Last night's debate would have been much enhanced if Zbigniew Brzezinski came out and smacked Trump around every time he talked about foreign policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson