2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

First read that as "walked on naked girls".  Would not be surprised if such a fetish existed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Thanks but no thanks.  I'll remain blissfully ignorant on that one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2016, 02:08:15 PM
Thanks but no thanks.  I'll remain blissfully ignorant on that one.

It is just what you think. Walking on people. Nothing nasty in that article.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2016, 12:08:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2016, 11:51:41 AM
If George W. Bush had been successful with his immigration ideas the GOP could have incorporate Hispanics into the national party in a big way.

I don't want to see that.

Fixed your post.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on October 12, 2016, 01:09:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2016, 12:27:48 PM
QuoteWe may just end up with a president paul ryan.*

:w00t:
Seems to be a spineless and unprincipled guy only interested in his personal career. What's to like about him?

BY calling him "spineless and unprincipled" I think you're only referring to his 'endorsement' of Trump.  I think he's generally seen as a fairly principled guy to be honest.  He was identified more with the Tea Party early on, is a big "ideas guy" who has engaged in outreach to communities that don't typically vote Republican.  If you're a right-leaning person there's a lot to like about Ryan.

As for endorsing Trump... fellow Republicans are in a real trap when it comes to Trump.  On the one hand yes - they do not like him, do not identify with him, and do not want to be associated with him.  But on the other hand party loyalty is a thing.  You're supposed to help out and support your fellow party members.  Trump did win the nomination fair and square.

Personally, I can't really fault Republicans for doing whatever they think is right when it comes to Trump - either backing him to the hilt (like Christie), giving him only nominal support (like Ryan), or flat out refusing to support him (like Kasich).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2016, 02:13:46 PM
If George W. Bush had been successful with his immigration ideas the GOP could have incorporate Hispanics into the national party in a big way.

Fixed your post.

GOP would have had to change its economic policies, stances on affirmative action, and other things as well.  Basically become the Democrat Party.

But agree to disagree.  I'd be thrilled to have more Hispandexes supporting the GOP.

alfred russel

BB, I disagree about your assessment of Ryan and Christie regarding Trump, but especially Christie. Christie didn't just endorse Trump the nominee, but endorsed Trump the primary candidate when the matter of the nomination was still in doubt.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on October 12, 2016, 02:18:02 PM
BB, I disagree about your assessment of Ryan and Christie regarding Trump, but especially Christie. Christie didn't just endorse Trump the nominee, but endorsed Trump the primary candidate when the matter of the nomination was still in doubt.

Fair point on Christie.

But still - you don't judge men who are stranded on a desert island.  These are exceptional circumstances with no easy answers.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2016, 02:14:19 PM
BY calling him "spineless and unprincipled" I think you're only referring to his 'endorsement' of Trump.
Yes.

QuoteI think he's generally seen as a fairly principled guy to be honest.  He was identified more with the Tea Party early on, is a big "ideas guy" who has engaged in outreach to communities that don't typically vote Republican.  If you're a right-leaning person there's a lot to like about Ryan.
Okay, I don't follow American politics that much. I was aware that he exists, but I only really saw any of his behavior when he wobbled back and forth about his position towards Trump.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
But still - you don't judge men who are stranded on a desert island.  These are exceptional circumstances with no easy answers.
Isn't that when you rely on your principles and values? In easy situations you don't need principles and values, because the right choice of action is clear. It's when it gets tough that you need to show what you're made of.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2016, 01:12:21 PM

QuoteNew England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, a friend of Donald Trump, runs away when asked about Trump's "locker room talk" about sexual assault

What was even more stunningly thick of him was how, in Pittsburgh on Monday, he spent the first 10 minutes talking about how close he is to Ben Roethlisberger, Mr. Twice-Accused-of-Sexual-Assault himself.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on October 12, 2016, 02:24:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
Isn't that when you rely on your principles and values? In easy situations you don't need principles and values, because the right choice of action is clear. It's when it gets tough that you need to show what you're made of.

But in this case principles and values can point to two conflicting directions.

"Respecting the will of the voters" is a principle too.  Trump did get millions and millions of votes.  No one else was particularly close.  On the face of it the nominee should expect the support of fellow party members even if they weren't someone's first choice.

Ryan to his credit is at least talking about Trump and engaging with Trump.  Lots of other Republicans are taking a "just don't ask me about Trump" approach.  Ryan didn't endorse Trump right away, instead he wanted some assurances that Trump would try to push for the House Republicans agenda (which he did, but we know what Trump's word is good for).  He's repeatedly denounced the various stupid things Trump has said.

Zanza

You can respect the will of the voters and still not personally endorse someone. That's a perfectly legitimate stance in a democracy.

I am sure you respect the will of the Canadian voters to elect Justin Trudeau, but you would still say that you personally do not support him...

If anything, party loyalty versus personal convictions is what is in conflict here.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2016, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2016, 02:13:46 PM

Fixed your post.

GOP would have had to change its economic policies, stances on affirmative action, and other things as well.  Basically become the Democrat Party.

But agree to disagree.  I'd be thrilled to have more Hispandexes supporting the GOP.

Why would they have to change their economic policies? :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017