2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2016, 07:55:21 PM
Early voting has started here in Iowa.

So once an Iowan has voted they can stick their fingers in ears and chant la-la-la for the next 31 days? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2016, 08:06:53 PM
So once an Iowan has voted they can stick their fingers in ears and chant la-la-la for the next 31 days? :unsure:

That right is not dependent on voting.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Is it really possible for us to lower pur expectations of him at this point? :unsure:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57f6ea0ee4b0e655eab346d4?section=politics

Donald Trump's Debate Practice Is A Joke
If he wanted to lower expectations for Sunday, he succeeded.

10 hours ago

Marina Fang Associate Politics Editor, The Huffington Post

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Thursday held a rare town hall event in New Hampshire that looked a lot like a trial run for Sunday's second presidential debate with Democrat Hillary Clinton.

But the softball questions selected from a Trump-friendly crowd offered little practice for a nominee who desperately needs to overcome his widely panned performance in last week's debate.

Trump rarely appears before small audiences, preferring raucous campaign rallies in large arenas, so Thursday's town hall provided him an opportunity to practice speaking in a more intimate setting and to prepare for Sunday's town hall-style event with Clinton.

The GOP nominee insisted that Thursday's gathering, moderated by conservative radio host Howie Carr, a Trump supporter, "has nothing to do with Sunday."

He was correct.

The event lasted just over 30 minutes, and the questions, selected from an invitation-only crowd, were complete softballs, bearing little resemblance to what he will encounter from moderators Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz, and audience members during Sunday's debate.

Sunday's matchup is crucial for Trump. He had been closing in on Clinton until his poor performance in last week's debate, which appears to have cost him dearly in polls. He now trails Clinton by more than 6 percentage points, according to HuffPost Pollster, which aggregates all available public polls.

Here is a sampling of questions put to Trump in New Hampshire:

"What would you say to convince Hispanics who are deceived by Obama, Clinton and the biased media to vote for you?"
"How will you win over the conservative holdouts not on the bandwagon?"
"What advice would you give to young Americans looking to achieve the American Dream?"
"What is your favorite childhood memory? Go Donald."
Trump fielded a question on how he would fix the VA health care system from Al Baldasaro, his adviser on veterans issues. Baldasaro famously called for Clinton to be "killed by firing squad."

The final question to Trump asked which team would win the World Series.

"Of course it's Boston," Trump said, pandering to the hometown crowd.

Based on his rambling answers, Trump did not appear to use a two-minute countdown clock that would have helped him prepare for Sunday's town hall format.

If he wanted to lower expectations for Sunday, he succeeded.

As usual, he took a dig at Clinton's preparation by drawing attention to her health.

"You really think Hillary Clinton is debate prepping? Hillary Clinton is resting," he said.

He also complained about the first debate, insisting he received more difficult questions than Clinton.

"She gets easy ones," he said. "By the way, have you noticed the difference? I'm getting boom, boom, boom. With her, 'What would you do to fix the economy?' Of course, that's actually a much tougher question than you would understand, and she doesn't have a clue, but you see the questions I was getting."

Editor's note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/06/politics/donald-trump-town-hall-new-hampshire/index.html

Quote"Do you really think that Hillary Clinton is debate prepping for three or four days?" Trump asked mockingly. "It's not debate prep. She's resting, she's resting. She's resting and I want to be with the American people."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

QuoteMore Election Coverage    
Fact-Checking The First Presidential Debate

"I don't believe she does have the stamina. To be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina." -Donald Trump

Stamina is actually one of Clinton's highest attribute categories in terms of skill points, after agility and metallurgy.

"I was against [the Trans-Pacific Partnership] once it was finally negotiated and the terms were laid out." -Hillary Clinton

False. She was against the TPP once it was finally negotiated and it was clearly electorally unviable.

"My father gave me a very small loan." -Donald Trump

It is true that $1 million does not get you far in New York City.

"Manufacturing jobs went up also in the 1990s, if we're actually going to look at the facts." -Hillary Clinton

No one is actually looking at the facts.​

"No wonder you've been fighting ISIS your entire adult life." -Donald Trump

It is well-documented that Hillary Clinton was pro-ISIS from 1982 to 1985.

"We need to move on." -Lester Holt

True.

"[NAFTA] is the single worst trade deal ever approved in this country." -Donald Trump

This is false. The worst trade deal in this country's history was when the SuperSonics dealt Scottie Pippen to the Bulls for Olden Polynice.

"We were born before the wind, also younger than the sun." -Hillary Clinton

Confirmed by Van Morrison in 1970.

"The 28 countries of NATO." -Donald Trump

You've got to give credit where credit is due; there are in fact 28 countries in NATO.

"Violent crime is one half of what it was in 1991." -Hillary Clinton

Come on, is this really going to change what you think one way or another?

"I say who makes these? We lose on everything. All I said, that it's very possible that if they don't pay a fair share, because this isn't 40 years ago where we could do what we're doing. We can't defend Japan, a behemoth, selling us cars by the million." -Donald Trump

What he doesn't tell you is, and this by the way, if you have any doubt in your whatever mind, look it up, because anyone can know this or tell this as the case had been, that you have these alliances and they are making America to where we lose.

http://www.theonion.com/infographic/fact-checking-first-presidential-debate-54037

:lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2016, 07:46:10 PM
Obama's approval rating hits 55%, highest since his first year in office.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/obama-approval-229224

If he could run a third term he'd be beating Trump like a drum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

If he could run for a third term, people wouldn't so readily forget that he's black.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Most of their best writers left in the 2000s to work for TV, and they haven't been able to replace them.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point