News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Apparently, Rudy Giuliani has said that before Obama, there has never been any Islamist terrorist attack on the US soil.  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2016, 02:50:25 AM
Apparently, Rudy Giuliani has said that before Obama, there has never been any Islamist terrorist attack on the US soil.  :hmm:

9/11 was airborne! :contract:

There must be some context to that quote, not even Giuliani can be such a fool.

Martinus

He said "By the way, under those eight years, before Obama came along, we didn't have any successful radical Islamic terrorist attack in the United States. They all started when Clinton and Obama got into office."

It's really hard to read it as anything other than senility.

celedhring

He has "clarified" his remarks: 

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/giuliani-911-gaffe-abbreviated-language

Quote"You speak in somewhat abbreviated language," he told the New York Daily News by way of explaining his Monday introduction for Donald Trump at a campaign rally in Youngstown, Ohio. "All human beings speak in abbreviated language at times."

"When you're giving a speech, you only have five minutes, you can't give an encyclopedic explanation," he said, adding that he will "of course" make other comments that "can be taken out of context or misinterpreted" thanks to the limitations of public speaking.

"We hadn't had any terror attack [except the one that killed thousands of Americans]" That's a hell of an abbreviation  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 04:59:20 AM
"We hadn't had any terror attack [except the one that killed thousands of Americans][ in a city of which I was the mayor at the time]" That's a hell of an abbreviation  :lol:

FYPFY :D

Martinus

Anyway, first Brexit, and now the Trump campaign makes me much less embarassed about being Polish. :D

I mean, these are playbook examples of PiS tricks from the last campaign. Like, when the current minister of defense (who was an MP during the last campaign) accused all Polish foreign affairs ministers since 1989, except the PiS ones, of being Russian agents - and later "clarified" it was a "mental abbreviation" too. :D

Sheilbh

I remember reading articles about how senior Republicans hoped having Rudy on the trail would have a calming influence on Trump and the campaign. And then I wondered to myself, do these people know anything about Rudy Giuliani?

Trump has reorganised him campaign again. The executive chairman of Breitbart has now been appointed chief executive of the campaign. There is something sort of admirable about him doubling down.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/291676-trump-we-reject-the-bigotry-of-clinton

:hmm:

QuoteTrump: 'We reject the bigotry' of Clinton

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Tuesday accused Hillary Clinton of "bigotry" and said she's taking black voters for granted.

Trump claimed during his speech in West Bend, Wis., that Democrats have "done nothing in return" for the votes of African-Americans.

"They've taken advantage of the African-American citizen," Trump said. "It's time to give the Democrats some competition for these votes and it's time to rebuild the inner cities of America and reject the failed, rigged system.

"We reject the bigotry of Hillary Clinton, which panders to and talks down to communities of color and sees them only as votes, that's all they care about, not as human beings worthy of a better future," he said. "They have taken advantage."

Trump also made the case that African-Americans were the hardest hit by a lack of policing. Trump called for enhancing law enforcement in the wake of increased racial tension following the fatal police-involved shooting of a black man in Milwaukee — about 40 miles from where he gave his Tuesday speech — who authorities say was armed.

Trump said that "law-abiding African-American citizens living in these neighborhoods" are impacted the most by a lack of law and order, adding, "There is no compassion in tolerating lawless conduct for anyone."

The remarks represent an escalation of attacks on his Democratic counterpart as Trump seeks to regain a footing in the presidential race after weeks of lagging polling figures showing him losing in battleground states following several controversies over his own statements.

It was the third carefully scripted Trump speech in two weeks meant to posit Trump as a credible presidential nominee less than three months before the election, and it came on the heels of his speech last week on the economy and speech Monday on foreign policy.

Earlier in the evening, Trump's campaign posted a "pledge" on Facebook to "reject bigotry and hatred and oppression in all its forms."

Trump, who averaged just 2 percent support among black voters in several recent polls after last month's conventions, rattled off crime and poverty statistics in several communities, blaming Democrats for issues facing those in the nation's inner cities.

Intertwined with his appeal to black voters was his rebuke of a "rigged" political system, accusing Democrats of tilting the scales for Clinton and praising himself for emerging as the GOP nominee despite political and monetary opposition.

"Eventually we're going to break that system," Trump vowed.

Trump said he was fighting for "a peaceful regime change in our own country," defining a new agenda focused on "government of, by and for the people."

"It's time to stop making the special interests rich. It's time to make the American people much richer than they've ever been before," he said.

Between the two major party candidates, it has long been Trump who has faced accusations of bigotry during the White House campaign, most prominently over his proposal to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the U.S. and his claims that a federal judge overseeing a Trump University case was biased due to his Mexican heritage.

"We're at a decisive moment in this election," Trump said.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Republican National Committee (RNC) chairman Reince Priebus spoke briefly before Trump at the rally in a show of party unity.

Walker stressed that only two names will appear on the ballot in November, saying, "You know in your hearts that Hillary Clinton is not the candidate of change."

Trump in return called Walker "a great gentleman and a really great governor," a marked contrast from the pair's colorful history. Trump boasted in March of having sent Walker "packing like a little boy" in the GOP primary.

"He walked out in disgrace. I'm surprised he has any juice left in Wisconsin," Trump remarked then.

The Wisconsin governor, months after ending his own presidential campaign, initially endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who would go on to win the Badger State primary before backing the eventual nominee.

Unlike Cruz, Ohio Gov. John Kasich or former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Walker has since come out in support of Trump's candidacy. Still, he has denounced or distanced himself from some Trump statements, such as his attack on the judge's heritage in June and his attack on a Gold Star family earlier this month.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani also spoke ahead of Trump, offering many of the same points accusing Democrats of being responsible for issues facing those in inner cities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

They're getting even more desperate now, aren't they?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2016, 05:45:25 AM
I remember reading articles about how senior Republicans hoped having Rudy on the trail would have a calming influence on Trump and the campaign. And then I wondered to myself, do these people know anything about Rudy Giuliani?

Trump has reorganised him campaign again. The executive chairman of Breitbart has now been appointed chief executive of the campaign. There is something sort of admirable about him doubling down.

In no time Milo will be Trump's official chief of staff. :D

Legbiter

It's good persuasion by the Clinton campaign to paint Trump as a Russian stooge when it's the Clintons who took money from them.

QuoteAs the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation. Uranium One's chairman used his family foundation to make four donations totaling $2.35 million. Those contributions were not publicly disclosed by the Clintons, despite an agreement Mrs. Clinton had struck with the Obama White House to publicly identify all donors. Other people with ties to the company made donations as well.

And shortly after the Russians announced their intention to acquire a majority stake in Uranium One, Mr. Clinton received $500,000 for a Moscow speech from a Russian investment bank with links to the Kremlin that was promoting Uranium One stock.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

Pinning her own farcical corruption and incompetence on Trump is the correct way to win this election.  :hmm:  ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on August 17, 2016, 06:23:39 AM
It's good persuasion by the Clinton campaign to paint Trump as a Russian stooge when it's the Clintons who took money from them.

QuoteAs the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation. Uranium One's chairman used his family foundation to make four donations totaling $2.35 million. Those contributions were not publicly disclosed by the Clintons, despite an agreement Mrs. Clinton had struck with the Obama White House to publicly identify all donors. Other people with ties to the company made donations as well.

And shortly after the Russians announced their intention to acquire a majority stake in Uranium One, Mr. Clinton received $500,000 for a Moscow speech from a Russian investment bank with links to the Kremlin that was promoting Uranium One stock.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

Pinning her own farcical corruption and incompetence on Trump is the correct way to win this election.  :hmm:  ^_^

:hmm:

I mean I think it is great that the media is looking into it as it is worth having light shining in on such matters but feels a bit weird to paint someone as a Russian stooge when you've no direct link and you don't actually see that person being all that excited about Russia (well apparently from that early juvenile effort to repair relations which was rebuffed).

QuoteIn a statement, Brian Fallon, a spokesman for Mrs. Clinton's presidential campaign, said no one "has ever produced a shred of evidence supporting the theory that Hillary Clinton ever took action as secretary of state to support the interests of donors to the Clinton Foundation." He emphasized that multiple United States agencies, as well as the Canadian government, had signed off on the deal and that, in general, such matters were handled at a level below the secretary. "To suggest the State Department, under then-Secretary Clinton, exerted undue influence in the U.S. government's review of the sale of Uranium One is utterly baseless," he added.