And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2016, 11:35:39 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 16, 2016, 08:03:56 AM
So, uh, what the hell is Donnie doing with all that cash?

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/first-read-clinton-has-owned-airwaves-general-election-n631706

My guess: he paid back himself the $50M (+interest) he loaned to the campaign. A while back he loudly proclaimed how he would forgive the debt since it was pointed out that he hadn't; but AFAIK he never filed the paperwork.

So yeah, he's making sure he's coming out okay financially from this.

That's my guess, too. He seems to care a lot about his material wealth, so this makes sense.

Also, iirc, a lot of his campaign's expenditures have been at Trump-owned hotels and businesses, which jives with that as well. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Maybe Trump realizes that once people find out he's not worth $10B, his reputation will go down the tubes, so he's desperately trying to catch up before his financial information is released.

Razgovory

I really only have one question anymore:  Am I taking crazy pills, or is everyone else taking them?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 16, 2016, 02:01:07 PM
I really only have one question anymore:  Am I taking crazy pills, or is everyone else taking them?

Crazy paranoia is in style these days. I blame the over-reach of surveillance after 9/11. It has made so many people paranoid and distrustful of everything. I mean society needs a bit of healthy cynicism and skepticism, but too much makes you a moron and/or a nutcase. DGuller has talked about that before and I really agree.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I hear ya.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Trump has not been properly diagnosed.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 16, 2016, 04:02:45 PM

The Goldwater Rule prohibits that. Seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater_rule

QuoteOn occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general. However, it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper authorization for such a statement.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2016, 04:55:41 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on August 16, 2016, 04:02:45 PM

The Goldwater Rule prohibits that. Seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater_rule

QuoteOn occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general. However, it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper authorization for such a statement.

Eminently sensible.

Though in Trump's case, he's rather like the politician who's put is family life into the limelight to gain an advantage, he's put so much of his personality at the centre of his campaign that I think medical professional can be allowed to pass comment on his fitness.

Hell, given he's gunning for the most powerful job in the world, I think its incumbent on them to give an opinion on his ability to do the job without casing a major war; what use extant ethical niceties in a world of cinders?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

His personality is plain to see.  You don't need a psychiatric exam to see the problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 05:57:45 PM
His personality is plain to see.  You don't need a psychiatric exam to see the problem.

Well yes, but it would be nice for professional to add their 'considerable' weight to the debate instead of standing in splendid isolation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 10:18:33 AM
The idea that there are diligent gnomes on the Street evaluating these kinds of investments by doing carefully honed analyses of long term returns and competitive dynamics is risible.  Ebay got punished for the 2002 deal because  it was perceived doubling down on ecommerce at a time when the dotcom bust was still the dominant narrative.  The 2005 was seen more favorably because tech was "back."  Those kind of simplistic trend narratives dominate - the Street didn't have the slightest clue about the true prospects of either of those businesses.
This can't be emphasised enough. The lads in the City and Wall Street who are analysing this stuff - or doing more senior jobs - are either grads or, very often, got in thirty years ago with a trading floor job and their GCSEs. Very often they're wide boys - in the nicest, most complimentary possible way.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2016, 06:04:49 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 05:57:45 PM

Well yes, but it would be nice for professional to add their 'considerable' weight to the debate instead of standing in splendid isolation.

I wouldn't trust any psychiatrist to diagnose The Donald from afar anymore than I would trust that goofball Senator Bill Frist, MD* when he diagnosed Terry Schiavo from watching TV.

So no, it wouldn't be nice.  It's unfair to the subject--even for an asshole like Trump--and trivializes the science behind the discipline.   Quite frankly, we have enough of that going on as it is. 

*Frist, however, freely admitted to precisely how fucking batshit buttfuck nuts he was.

Sheilbh

Why look for a psychiatrist when you've got Martin Amis:
http://harpers.org/archive/2016/08/don-the-realtor/

Given that he's a character from Money, I'd happily pay Amis to follow the Trump campaign if anyone wants to crowdfund it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Yeah, I don't understand why people need a psychiatrist for Trump.  Just like job interviewers don't need a psychiatrist to tell them that some candidates have personalities that are obviously incompatible for the jobs that they are applying for.  Trump has provided more than enough evidence himself.