News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2016, 03:24:34 PM
That's part of the appeal, she hasn't been corrupted by experience in politics.  Or we can just keep voting in the corrupt Washington insiders and expect magically different results.  :rolleyes:

Well we have been electing outsiders who are going to fix Washington for a few decades now and we certainly are getting different results. Terrible ones, but different.

Edit: Just to clarify I know you were being very sarcastic :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2016, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 05, 2016, 03:08:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2016, 03:06:39 PM
Say what you will about Jill Stein, but she sure had at least an order of magnitude less scandals than Hillary in the last couple of decades.

Not of lot of trouble you can get into when your political experience consists of a term or two on a suburban town council.
That's part of the appeal, she hasn't been corrupted by experience in politics.  Or we can just keep voting in the corrupt Washington insiders and expect magically different results.  :rolleyes:

Right? Like inexperience, why would that be a bad thing?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

trump's economic team is really awful and provides more insight into who he is as a person

Jacob

Looks like Trump's working the "suckers" angle as hard as he can - there is no way to cancel a recurring contribution to the Trump campaign once it's started: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/08/05/donald_trump_s_web_site_won_t_let_you_cancel_recurring_donations.html

Valmy

Hank Green, a true patriot and so forth, put together videos on voting in every single state: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7SMwipBlDwBPEwxq8QD8sw

Hey you can vote on the internet in Alaska? Nice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Monoriu on August 05, 2016, 10:42:53 AM
Civil servants should never publicly side with any election candidate.

He wasn't part of the civil service as CIA Director and certainly isn't as a private citizen. Me and you are civil servants--he was nominated to his position by POTUS and confirmed by the Senate, a political appointee.

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on August 05, 2016, 05:49:00 PM
Looks like Trump's working the "suckers" angle as hard as he can - there is no way to cancel a recurring contribution to the Trump campaign once it's started: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/08/05/donald_trump_s_web_site_won_t_let_you_cancel_recurring_donations.html

Ha, but he'll make us great again.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

Actually Morell was never confirmed by the Senate--he was a Deputy Director (appointed by the President but without a confirmation requirement), but still a political appointee.

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on August 05, 2016, 05:49:00 PMhttp://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/08/05/donald_trump_s_web_site_won_t_let_you_cancel_recurring_donations.html

Quote"It's more of a toss-up if the bank would contest it or not, because, in a way, the transaction was approved," credit card expert Sean McQuay told Time.

:hmm:

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on August 05, 2016, 05:49:00 PM

I was wrong about Trump.  I thought his campaign would be entertaining, at least.  I thought it would be impossible to pack so many negative qualities into a human being.  I thought, whatever his moral qualities are, he at least is a really smart guy.  I thought it would be impossible for him to sink lower. 

Instead, I am proven wrong on an almost daily basis, and he never ceases to surprise me.  In a bad way. 

Admiral Yi

Trump's success this year will be a shame that it will take 20 years for the American people to live down.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2016, 12:28:57 AM
Trump's success this year will be a shame that it will take 20 years for the American people to live down.

Nah, once he gets demolished in the general election, he will just be like LePen going up against Chirac a few years ago. No harm was done to the reputation of france.

Now for the republicans party, I agree.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Not sure I agree, anyway that just puts off the shame until Ivanka's far more successful run in 2028 :o

Though it would be nice if Trump lost 20-80.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Yeah. I find people who think that if Hillary wins, things will just go back to normal, extremely naive. The phenomenon that propelled Trump to win the GOP nomination will get stronger and stronger each election cycle, and the person it will bring up will be nastier and nastier.