News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Some interesting news out of Kansas the other day (I know  :lol:), basically the moderates in the GOP ran the table on the ultra conservative wing of the party during the primary and are poised to take power in the state in November.

Meanwhile, the President of the United States has a 52/44 approval rating. (Gallup)

And some of the newest polls in the presidential race have Trump down double digits in some important states (-11 in PA and -15 in NH) and a Fox News poll has him down -10 nationally  :lol: :lol:

Naturally I expect his numbers to bounce back and the race to tighten but it's still funny.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Time for an RNC coup?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBevanRCP/status/761142644777054208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tom Bevan
Tom Bevan – Verified account ‏@TomBevanRCP

Tipping point reached? New polls have Trump down 11 in PA, 15 in NH, 9 in MI. He's at 38%, 32% and 32%, respectively.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2016, 03:52:48 AM
. And given that Hillary upsets both the alt-right and Bernie bros, her trolling capacity may actually be better than Trump's, which makes her candidacy more economic for triggering purposes.

This is something I discovered way back and it's made this election much more enjoyable for me.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2016, 04:49:20 AM
For example there has been a lot of slut-shaming directed at his wife and a lot of nasty stuff about his kids from the corners which usually freak out about attacking people for their looks etc. Some of the stuff he says has been either misreported or reported in a totally biased way (for example he is a threat to national security because he jokes about Russia hacking DNC emails - but Hillary isn't despite mishandling confidential information).

The media being generally not very liked or trusted, the Trump Derangement Syndrome in the pundit class only helps Trump by feeding into his "rigged system" narrative.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2016, 08:37:10 AM
. And given that Hillary upsets both the alt-right and Bernie bros, her trolling capacity may actually be better than Trump's, which makes her candidacy more economic for triggering purposes.

This is something I discovered way back and it's made this election much more enjoyable for me.

I'm supposed not to, but I'm quite enjoying the BLMvsBernieBros drama in my Facebook feed.

Legbiter

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2016, 07:54:06 AMNaturally I expect his numbers to bounce back and the race to tighten but it's still funny.

Yeah, polls are just entertainment at this point. Also add in the Shy Trump supporters and that those who like Trump really, really seem to like him and will it seems be energized to turn out to vote and this election is a real once-in-a-lifetime nailbiter.  :hmm:

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on August 04, 2016, 08:46:35 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2016, 08:37:10 AM

I'm supposed not to, but I'm quite enjoying the BLMvsBernieBros drama in my Facebook feed.

Trump-trolling was fun for awhile but since he won the primary it's gotten really stale.

Hill-trolling the Bernouts and alt-right weirdos will provide years of entertainment, however.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on August 04, 2016, 08:49:38 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2016, 07:54:06 AMNaturally I expect his numbers to bounce back and the race to tighten but it's still funny.

Yeah, polls are just entertainment at this point. Also add in the Shy Trump supporters and that those who like Trump really, really seem to like him and will it seems be energized to turn out to vote and this election is a real once-in-a-lifetime nailbiter.  :hmm:

The Olympics should be a boon for his campaign. That is if he can stand being out of the spotlight for more than a couple days.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on August 04, 2016, 08:42:22 AM
For example there has been a lot of slut-shaming directed at his wife and a lot of nasty stuff about his kids from the corners which usually freak out about attacking people for their looks etc. Some of the stuff he says has been either misreported or reported in a totally biased way (for example he is a threat to national security because he jokes about Russia hacking DNC emails - but Hillary isn't despite mishandling confidential information).

The media being generally not very liked or trusted, the Trump Derangement Syndrome in the pundit class only helps Trump by feeding into his "rigged system" narrative.  :hmm:

Right . . .
Donnie's problem isn't the meanies in the media.  His entire candidacy owes its success to a media starving for ratings draws and ready and willing to give him free unlimited publicity.

His post-convention blues have zero to do with media bias. It's just been one self-inflicted gaffe after another.  The media didn't make him say those things, it didn't force him get into puerile squabbles with dead soldier families and random fire marshals.  Far from pushing some narrative, the media has been scrambling just to keep up with the avalanche of foolishness out of Trump's mouth.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on August 04, 2016, 08:49:38 AM
this election is a real once-in-a-lifetime nailbiter.  :hmm:

I think most of us here were alive in 2000 ...
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2016, 09:19:36 AMThat is if he can stand being out of the spotlight for more than a couple days.

Let's hope not.  :(

It's going to get quite heated once both campaigns launch their entire arsenals at each other in September.  :showoff:

Legbiter

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2016, 09:25:29 AMHis post-convention blues have zero to do with media bias. It's just been one self-inflicted gaffe after another.  The media didn't make him say those things, it didn't force him get into puerile squabbles with dead soldier families and random fire marshals.  Far from pushing some narrative, the media has been scrambling just to keep up with the avalanche of foolishness out of Trump's mouth.

Eh, the current drama will blow over in a week and a half. That judge Curiel thing, for instance, seems like it happened back in the Precambrian.  ^_^

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2016, 09:25:29 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on August 04, 2016, 08:42:22 AM

Right . . .
Donnie's problem isn't the meanies in the media.  His entire candidacy owes its success to a media starving for ratings draws and ready and willing to give him free unlimited publicity.

His post-convention blues have zero to do with media bias. It's just been one self-inflicted gaffe after another.  The media didn't make him say those things, it didn't force him get into puerile squabbles with dead soldier families and random fire marshals.  Far from pushing some narrative, the media has been scrambling just to keep up with the avalanche of foolishness out of Trump's mouth.

That's true. It gets more and more difficult to defend him.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on August 04, 2016, 09:28:22 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 04, 2016, 09:19:36 AMThat is if he can stand being out of the spotlight for more than a couple days.

Let's hope not.  :(

Honestly, I agree  :D

Savonarola

Yesterday Trump was in Daytona speaking at a rally.  They had a little blurb about the speech on the local news.  The Donald said something like "You look outside and it's like the third world out there!"  and I thought, "Well, what did you expect Florida to be like?"

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock