News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Interestingly, Obama also has his issues with European free loaders.
[Obama] is the rare president who seems at times to resent indispensability, rather than embrace it. "Free riders aggravate me," he told me. Recently, Obama warned that Great Britain would no longer be able to claim a "special relationship" with the United States if it did not commit to spending at least 2 percent of its GDP on defense. "You have to pay your fair share," Obama told David Cameron, who subsequently met the 2 percent threshold.

From Obama's interview with the Atlantic not too long ago.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2016, 02:33:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2016, 02:31:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2016, 02:28:13 PM
And apparently Cruz is getting trashed today because in a speech that referenced the movie 'Hoosiers' he called a basketball hoop a basketball ring  :wacko:

Maybe that's what they call it in Canada.

Maybe so :lol:

Lulz, oooh a basketball match tonight!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2016, 03:01:49 PM

But if it means relocating US bases from Germany to Poland I'm all for it.

I, for one, am all for being stationed in Poland.

I hear the ladies there are nice.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2016, 02:31:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2016, 02:28:13 PM
And apparently Cruz is getting trashed today because in a speech that referenced the movie 'Hoosiers' he called a basketball hoop a basketball ring  :wacko:

Maybe that's what they call it in Canada.

Hey!  We invented the damn game! :mad:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Just because Naismith hadn't finished his paperwork yet.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Trump passes Romney's popular vote total, likely to break GOP record

http://www.politico.com/blogs/twelve-thirty-seven/2016/04/donald-trump-popular-vote-record-222510

With his five blowout wins Tuesday night, Donald Trump has passed Mitt Romney's popular vote total from four years ago and is on a trajectory that could land him more Republican votes than any presidential candidate in modern history – by a lot.

Trump surged to more than 10 million votes, according to totals that include Tuesday's preliminary results across the Northeast. That's already about 250,000 more than Romney earned in the entire 2012 primary season and 153,000 more than John McCain earned in 2008.

More significantly, Trump is positioned to easily pass the modern record-holder, George W. Bush, who collected 10.8 million votes in 2000.
That presents an uncomfortable reality for anti-Trump forces: they're attempting to thwart the candidate who is likely to win more Republican primary votes than any GOP contender in at least the last 36 years, and maybe ever.

Camerus

Trump foreign policy speech didn't seem particularly incoherent to me. To sum it up I would say focus not on (what critics may see as undo emphasis on) progressivist values in the vein of Obama like hitting the reset button or concerns with being " on the wrong side of history" or on neocon nation building (Bush), but rather much greater focus on realpolitik and global stability.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2016, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 27, 2016, 12:19:04 PM
CNN article from 18 hours ago:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/26/news/trump-university/

Coming from a guy who hates Trump, the case seems kind of thin.

Is there a criminal fraud and a civil fraud?  What's the difference?

The standard is basically the same.  The difference is what a prosecutor is interested in prosecuting as a criminal matter, with a criminal burden of proof.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on April 27, 2016, 02:57:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2016, 02:30:26 PM
What's wrong with Carly Fiorina? :huh:

I agree he's losing the nomination, but that's why he's doing it - trying to shake things up.

He's trying to out-Trump Trump by assuming the sale and it just makes him look weird. Well, weirder at least :hmm:

It's weird because Trump made the sale and Cruz didn't.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2016, 07:42:28 PM

I agree he's losing the nomination, but that's why he's doing it - trying to shake things up.

He's trying to out-Trump Trump by assuming the sale and it just makes him look weird. Well, weirder at least :hmm:

What I don't get is why she accepted.  I could see accepted a VP nomination from a candidate who was certainly going to lose in the general election in order to build your name recognition for the next Presidential election, but what value resides in agreeing to be the running mate of someone who is almost certain to not even get to November?

Phillip V

Quote from: dps on April 27, 2016, 08:03:02 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2016, 07:42:28 PM

What I don't get is why she accepted.  I could see accepted a VP nomination from a candidate who was certainly going to lose in the general election in order to build your name recognition for the next Presidential election, but what value resides in agreeing to be the running mate of someone who is almost certain to not even get to November?

Cruz and Fiorina are both desperate.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 27, 2016, 04:39:04 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2016, 03:01:49 PM

But if it means relocating US bases from Germany to Poland I'm all for it.

I, for one, am all for being stationed in Poland.

I hear the ladies there are nice.  :P

I thought you want the job in the most remote station possible?