News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Those acting blindsided by Trump's victory in Hawaii ignore that he is the only candidate in his party committed to Making Anime Real, and the strong support he has among the weeaboo subset.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

That article analysis was excellent, Tim. Thanks for posting this.

This also kinda explains the almost uniform condemnation of Trump from Languishite Yanks - almost everybody here is squarely middle class.

Martinus

QuoteNow, let us stop and smell the perversity. Left parties the world over were founded to advance the fortunes of working people. But our left party in America – one of our two monopoly parties – chose long ago to turn its back on these people's concerns, making itself instead into the tribune of the enlightened professional class, a "creative class" that makes innovative things like derivative securities and smartphone apps. The working people that the party used to care about, Democrats figured, had nowhere else to go, in the famous Clinton-era expression. The party just didn't need to listen to them any longer.

This is the key, and on yet another level - among the young. Sure, Gamergate "neckbeards" and libertarian podcast listeners are not a significant demographics in term of votes, but there is a distinct support among these groups for Trump based on Schadenfreude and the fact that this will piss off immensely all the Anitas Sarkesian, Macklemores and similar people.

garbon

So I was looking at my New York absentee ballot to see if there's anything I should vote for (having voted in the overseas election, I can still vote for New York things, just not president) and I came across something odd. The only other thing to vote on is delegates for my district which I believe had 6 choices pledged for Bernie and 6 pledged for Hillary. Note then says to pick any 6.

Not sure what that meant, I googled and found that New York has a dual primary for Dems in which both candidates and many of the delegates are selected by voters. Further googling revealed (from an article in 80s when primary system was new) that if there were 4 delegates in a district and Jesse Jackson won district by large margin but only 2 delegates voters elected were pledged for Jesse Jackson, the state committee would come up with who would be a 3rd delegate for Jackson (rather than say 'give' him one of the Mondale delegates). Mondale delegates who were selected by voters but not allocated due to popular vote for candidate would then have 'lost' and would not be counted for convention/delegate counts.

Makes it seem then, that I'd really only want/need to vote for delegates if I say knew them personally - as either way the amount of delegates granted for proportion of popular vote will be assigned, they just might be selected by the party committee instead.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

It's amusing that the Democratic Party is not very democratic, at least when selecting their nominee.

The Democratic primaries remind me of the Eurovision Song Contest, only with less talent.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 03:54:20 AM
The Democratic primaries remind me of the Eurovision Song Contest, only with less talent.

You need to listen to Bernie's album.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 03:54:20 AM
It's amusing that the Democratic Party is not very democratic, at least when selecting their nominee.

I don't see what is not Democratic about what I said. Probably more so than Republicans as you can also choose the specific delegates if your candidate wins big on popular vote in your district. :unsure:

And on the national level, don't all Dem primaries award delegates on proportional basis of popular vote? The only thing I can see that stands out as obviously un-democratic are super delegates but those generally don't stand in the way of blocking the voice of the people of the party.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2016, 01:56:13 AM
Suprising results from Hawaii

With 22% in Trump is up 46.5% to Cruz's 28.3%
Not surprising.  Like Massachusetts, the GOP is a fringe party there populated mostly by crazy idiots.  In November, 100% chance the Democrats win both states.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also, Rubio.... DROP.  THE.  FUCK.  OUT.  NOBODY LIKES YOU.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2016, 05:41:40 AM
Also, Rubio.... DROP.  THE.  FUCK.  OUT.  NOBODY LIKES YOU.

I like him. Don't care for his policies much, but he is a Republican.

Caliga

My point is that he cannot win at this point, and he's just dividing the anti-Trump vote.

Eddie Teach

Heh, well I dislike Cruz just as much as Trump.  :sleep:

Monoriu