And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 16, 2016, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2016, 04:24:23 AM
Yeah, it's kinda funny how people still make comments like Dorsey's after Trump says something... it's as if they have been living under a rock for the last 6 months or so.

So I am increasingly being abandoned in this point of view, but the past 6 months I've consistently felt that Trump is losing rather than winning. He gets the highest support in opinion polls while the field is fragmented and he is getting far more media attention than anyone else, but his negatives are through the roof. Plus he continues to say stupid things that will eventually undermine his support and maintain his negatives.

Time will tell.
I predict that there is a good chance that you may be proven right in time.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Yeah, it's kinda funny how people still make comments like Dorsey's after Trump says something... it's as if they have been living under a rock for the last 6 months or so.

So I am increasingly being abandoned in this point of view, but the past 6 months I've consistently felt that Trump is losing rather than winning. He gets the highest support in opinion polls while the field is fragmented and he is getting far more media attention than anyone else, but his negatives are through the roof. Plus he continues to say stupid things that will eventually undermine his support and maintain his negatives.

Time will tell.

All of which is true (and will doom him in the general election) but I don't see the field consolidating until after trump has locked up the nomination.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 16, 2016, 09:55:26 AMSo I am increasingly being abandoned in this point of view, but the past 6 months I've consistently felt that Trump is losing rather than winning. He gets the highest support in opinion polls while the field is fragmented and he is getting far more media attention than anyone else, but his negatives are through the roof. Plus he continues to say stupid things that will eventually undermine his support and maintain his negatives.

Time will tell.

I've always agreed with the core argument, but a lot of delegates get awarded through mid-March, and if we still have a 3-4 way race through then, 35% is enough to create a scenario where even if all your opponents coalesce into one you might still get enough delegates in the rest of the primaries (a lot are WTA, but not all, after Super Tuesday) to win out right, or at the very least to win a plurality--and the GOP will be in a hard spot if he wins a plurality.

I think the "weird" factor is unlike 2008, 2012, or any recent GOP contest there are factors that make it "logical" for candidates to stay in the primary later. If this was a "normal" and Trump was the Huckabee '08 or Santorum '12 type candidate and was 1v1 against someone the entire rest of the party supported, his high negatives and low ceiling of support would mean he'd be a thorn/annoyance in the front runner's side but they'd ultimately win an outright delegate majority and he'd ideally go away and not run third party. But the fractured field makes his plurality of support very powerful.

Phillip V

Time will tell.

Trump is outperforming McCain '08 and Romney '12.  I give the man some kudos.

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on February 16, 2016, 11:02:47 AM
I give the man some kudos.

I'll give him kudos if he gets more electoral college votes than George Wallace did in 1968.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Well I just voted for Hillary. Now just have to wait around for the Caucus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2016, 02:22:05 PM

Does one vote count and the other doesn't?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2016, 02:41:35 PM

Both votes count. I, like Edgar Allen Poe before me, am encouraged to vote twice.

Edit: Weird I just got my Caucus invite and it is on March 19th instead of the evening of Super Tuesday like it has been forever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2016, 02:43:31 PM

Both votes count. I, like Edgar Allen Poe before me, am encouraged to vote twice.

Edit: Weird I just got my Caucus invite and it is on March 19th instead of the evening of Super Tuesday like it has been forever.

Texas has a primary, not a caucus. And it's on March 1st.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 16, 2016, 03:06:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2016, 02:43:31 PM

Texas has a primary, not a caucus. And it's on March 1st.  :P

We have had both forever. I did not know this had changed. And if we do not have a Caucus what did I just get invited to :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2016, 03:08:48 PM
We have had both forever. I did not know this had changed. And if we do not have a Caucus what did I just get invited to :hmm:

I hope the person doing the inviting wasn't a 300 pound ex-con with the sense of humor of a 12-year-old ...  :blink:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on February 16, 2016, 03:46:19 PM
We're here for you man.  :hug:

Is it time for my physical already?

Anyway it looks like the old Caucus system was discontinued in 2015 so I guess the thing on the 19th is just the party county convention. Huh.