Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on February 01, 2016, 11:55:42 PM
Tim called it. Trump crushed Cruz.  :lmfao:

Almost as funny as Guller's gambling addiction.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2016, 11:52:11 PM
I read that Clinton has 27 delegates vs Sanders' 22, with two to go. That includes super delegates, and taking precincts (or whatever they're called) into account. So even if Sanders breaks 50% Clinton will end up ahead in delegates.

... if what I read is true, anyhow.

But super delegates aren't determined by the voting, so adding them in isn't really fair to the caucus results. On the 538 blog they had an analysis that Sanders needs to win a very large majority (like 2/3) of the voting delegates to get the nomination based on how the super delegates are lining up.

But in the real world, assume Sanders goes into the convention having won most states and most delegates based on voting. Would the party elders/superdelegates (most of whom are elected themselves) really throw the nomination to someone else? I don't know the answer, but I don't think it is as cut and dried as looking at how they are pledged now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

alfred russel

It seems like New Hampshire will be Jeb's Waterloo/Yellow Tavern. Which is a shame. With $100m, it would be awesome if he only got the ~5,000 votes he is getting in Iowa.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Yeah the Super Delegates are not going to decide an election unless something crazy stupid happens. All they really want to do is prevent some kind of crazy Commie hijacking the party...huh :hmm:

But seriously they did not stand in Obama's way in 2008 and they won't stand in Sanders' way in 2016.

Hillary is going to have to win some hearts and minds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 11:59:32 PM
But in the real world, assume Sanders goes into the convention having won most states and most delegates based on voting. Would the party elders/superdelegates (most of whom are elected themselves) really throw the nomination to someone else? I don't know the answer, but I don't think it is as cut and dried as looking at how they are pledged now.
Yeah, I wonder about that myself.  The superdelegate system seems like a desperate safeguard at best.  To use it to circumvent the primary results would throw the party into chaos.

Phillip V

Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2016, 11:52:11 PM
I read that Clinton has 27 delegates vs Sanders' 22, with two to go. That includes super delegates, and taking precincts (or whatever they're called) into account. So even if Sanders breaks 50% Clinton will end up ahead in delegates.

... if what I read is true, anyhow.

But super delegates aren't determined by the voting, so adding them in isn't really fair to the caucus results. On the 538 blog they had an analysis that Sanders needs to win a very large majority (like 2/3) of the voting delegates to get the nomination based on how the super delegates are lining up.

Clinton beat Obama by popular vote in the 2008 Democratic primaries:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on February 02, 2016, 12:10:19 AM
Clinton beat Obama by popular vote in the 2008 Democratic primaries:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

Obama won the most states and dominated the caucuses which don't contribute to those vote totals. He also won the most pledged delegates. I dont' think an impartial observer would say Clinton was the rightful winner.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 11:29:36 PM
Well that is a dagger in the Trump momentum. Months and months (and months and months) of hand wringing...

After all the B.S., he couldn't reach 1/4 of the votes, and almost got pipped by Rubio.  Speculation about whether his polling number would translate into asses in the caucus room turned out to be well-founded.

yes it's Iowa so you can't read too much into it,  but boy is it nice to see a puncture finally made in the vast gaseous bubble of asinine pomposity,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Superdelegates are there is there is a multiple candidate split but a clear frontrunner, they can push a candidate over and thus avoid a chaotic convention.  Flipping the contest against the weight of the votes is another thing altogether.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

So the first time my wife picks a candidate he wins something. Figures.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Is it just me, or does the Mexican captain look like Rafael E. Cruz

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017