2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 02:34:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:32:37 PM
I think you are wrong about that. I think the electors are appointed by the states and have laws telling them who they can vote for. For example Nebraska and Maine both have those funky rules for their congressional districts.

The only thing I've ever read about related to state control is fines that can be imposed for not voting the way you're supposed to.  Which would be a pointless law if in fact the state could control your vote.

They appoint them and can punish them for stepping out of line but beyond that have no control?

Anyway how was that guy's vote declared invalid?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Legbiter

QuoteAUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Maine Democratic elector casts vote for U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders for president instead of Hillary Clinton

https://twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/810930933574549506
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Well it does fit nicely with my prediction of where this thing is going  :yuk:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on December 19, 2016, 02:48:04 PM
QuoteAUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Maine Democratic elector casts vote for U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders for president instead of Hillary Clinton

Maybe I'm wrong. :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 02:50:55 PM

Huh. I thought that actually meant you were right.

Valmy

I don't think we have had a modern election where more than one elector went faithless on the Presidential candidate.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 02:50:55 PM

frm report I heard last night roughly half the states have no penalty for electors voting for whomever. The rest do have fines if they don't vote the winner of the states tally. But the fines are like $1,000.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:56:16 PM
I don't think we have had a modern election where more than one elector went faithless on the Presidential candidate.

Which reminds me:  how many of you actually learned in high school--or learned and forgot--about electors and how they vote?

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2016, 03:05:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:56:16 PM

Which reminds me:  how many of you actually learned in high school--or learned and forgot--about electors and how they vote?

The EC is pretty weird in the sense there is one way it was designed to work and another way it actually works.

The Minsky Moment

Fun question: Is the Minn faithful elector law constitutional?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 19, 2016, 03:12:45 PM
Fun question: Is the Minn faithful elector law constitutional?

Constitutional!!

Article II. Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress:

No problem there.  Nothing here says once appointed he can't be unappointed.

Twelfth Amendment

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves

This is bizarre.  Either you can't run two people from the same state on a ticket, or if they do, the electors from that state can't vote for them. :unsure:

Valmy

Yes. There was a concern at the time that everybody would just vote for favorite sons. This actually came up during the run up to the 2000 election since both Cheney and Dubya were residents of Texas at the time. Cheney had to quickly sell his home and re-assert he lived in Wyoming just so there wouldn't be a problem for the Texas electors. IIRC anyway. Who knows how that would have gone if otherwise.

The Bush/Lieberman administration :P

CountDeMoney

Got vote for the POTUS and the VP separately, Yi; there was the SNAFU in 2004 where the elector filled in Edwards accidentally for both.