News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Even crabs in the Tampa Bay have turned on Hil:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Well, what do you expect from bottom feeders?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I will have whore pills available. 100 dollars a tablet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

?

Trump May Have Just Leaked Classified Info ON HIS FIRST DAY Getting Intelligence Briefings
By Jameson Parker
Election 2016, News, Politics, World
July 29, 2016

Today was likely Donald Trump's very first day of getting classified intelligence briefings as part of his role as the Republican nominee. He has been provided these briefings against the wishes of high ranking former intelligence agents, as well as many currently still working in the Pentagon. The concern for many has been Trump's inability to keep his mouth shut, his mercurial temper, and his relentless need to boast about things he doesn't understand.

Republicans have responded by saying Trump would be more presidential now that he's the nominee. Surely, he wouldn't, say, leak any classified information he receives as part of his new access to information. Surely!

But now there's this.

At a rally in Colorado Springs, Trump was deep into a rant about making countries pay the United States for protection when he suggested we shouldn't have to keep paying "rent" for the military base we keep in Saudi Arabia.

Trump is now complaining "we pay rent for our base to Saudi Arabia"

— Ben Jacobs (@Bencjacobs) July 29, 2016

Among the stupidity of the statement lies an even more troubling one: The United States isn't supposed to have a base in Saudi Arabia.

If there is now a US military base in Saudi, it is classified and mentioning it should have legal consequences. https://t.co/LgEeMXkV7M

— Yaroslav Trofimov (@yarotrof) July 29, 2016

The last American base in Saudi Arabia was supposed to have closed down shortly after 9/11. After unrest during the invasion of Iraq, then Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld officially closed the last remaining U.S. military base in Saudi Arabia and gave it back to the Saudi government.

If America does still have a base in Saudi Arabia it was a site not meant to be made public. The consequences of having that exposed could quite have massive consequences for America's role in the Middle East.

There are two possibilities here: Either Donald Trump is so woefully out of touch with American foreign policy that he thinks a base that closed down 13 years ago is still open – or he just leaked a staggering nugget of classified information. Should it come to light that there is indeed a secret base in Saudi Arabia, you can forget about homebrew servers – Trump just committed a massive crime.

And here is where Trump's maliciousness and his stupidity intersect: It's possible that even if Trump was aware a base in Saudi Arabia existed, he wouldn't have known it was meant to be a secret. Despite claiming he knows "more than the generals," Trump has very little knowledge about any foreign policy issue. He's quite literally so ignorant that he doesn't know what he shouldn't know. How do you give classified information to a man that dense? It's a strong reason to trust former intelligence officers when they look at Donald Trump and say they have deep concerns.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PDH

It doesn't change anything: either he is an idiot, or he is an idiot...

Still, the American public is likely dumb enough to vote for him.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Mixed news

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/194000/first-time-trump-image-par-clinton.aspx

QuoteThe average American's views of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have converged for the first time in Gallup's yearlong tracking of the images of the two candidates, with Americans giving each exactly the same favorable and unfavorable ratings. The numbers for both candidates, based on interviewing conducted July 18-25, are 37% favorable and 58% unfavorable. In all previous Gallup updates stretching back to last July, Clinton's net favorable has been higher than Trump's.

The current period covers the four days of the Republican convention, but also includes the weekend in which Clinton announced her vice presidential running mate and the first night of the Democratic convention. In fact, when the data from Saturday, Sunday and Monday are isolated, the numbers are even slightly more in Trump's favor -- 37%/58% favorable/unfavorable, compared with Clinton's 36%/59%. In other words, there is no evidence through Monday night that Trump is losing his image gains from his Cleveland convention.

For example, Trump's speech got the least positive reviews of any speech we have tested after the fact: 35% of Americans interviewed last weekend said it was excellent or good. Of the nine previous speeches we have rated, the top one was Barack Obama's in August 2008, which 58% of Americans rated as excellent or good. The lowest-rated speech other than Trump's was Mitt Romney's in 2012, with 38% excellent or good.

Among just those who reported that they watched "a great deal" of the GOP convention, Trump's speech rating was much better: 58% of this group rated Trump's speech as excellent or good (with only 1% not having an opinion or saying they didn't watch the speech). Of those who watched very little or none of the convention, 19% rated Trump's speech as excellent or good, with 26% saying they didn't watch or didn't have an opinion. But this same type of disparity has been evident in our previous reviews of reactions to acceptance speeches as well, and the key finding is that, putting it all together, Trump's speech received lukewarm ratings, based on historical comparisons.

The self-reported net impact of the GOP convention was also negative. Overall, 51% of Americans say the convention made them less likely to vote for Trump, while 36% said it made them more likely to vote for him. This is the highest "less likely to vote" percentage for a candidate in the 15 times Gallup has asked this question after a convention.
The previous "less likely" high was 38% after both conventions in 2012, and after the GOP conventions in 2004 and 2008.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

America seems to me like a kid in a custody battle between a toxic, controlling and manipulative mother and a foul-mouthed, philandering and neglectful father (who probably touches you inappropriately) and you are not allowed to go and live with your cool uncle Bernie instead.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

QuoteDPRK News Service
DPRK News Service –  ‏@DPRK_News

Entire world riveted as United States presidential candidate Donald Trump undergoes mental breakdown and soils himself on live television.
2:53 PM - 29 Jul 2016
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive