News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2016, 12:34:19 PM

It's the lead story because two days later the Trump campaign decides to fess up and admit what happened.

Remember - Joe Biden withdrew from the 1988 presidential race when he was found to have plagiarized a speech.

But she isn't a candidate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

So...they need any electrical engineers in Cape Breton?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I think it's safe to say that the Melania didn't make an independent decision on how to spin the plagiarism.  Beeb's point still stands.  It's a case study in how Trump responds to a negative story.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 01:05:25 PM
So...they need any electrical engineers in Cape Breton?
There is demand in Quebec.  Montreal area, actually, but it's close enough to Quebec to be considered part of it, technically. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2016, 01:07:09 PM
I think it's safe to say that the Melania didn't make an independent decision on how to spin the plagiarism.  Beeb's point still stands.  It's a case study in how Trump responds to a negative story.

So it is a story so we can learn how Trump responds to negative stories?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

You know, it is true that we were all expecting even more of a circus out of the Trumpvention. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2016, 01:28:55 PM
So it is a story so we can learn how Trump responds to negative stories?

Sure. :mellow:

Savonarola

More insightful journalism from CNN:  Three types of Republicans at the RNC

1.)  Those that favor Trump
2.)  Those that oppose Trump
3.)  Those that are lukewarm on Trump

Thank goodness they had a Senior Digital Correspondent write this story; it might have been trivial or obvious otherwise.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Maybe there are some who are a bit cold on Trump but are not quite in full opposition yet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2016, 12:17:38 PM
Two days later, Melania's speech is still the lead story on CNN.com.  It's hard to imagine anyone actually caring about this (why can you imagine what sort of drapes she'll pick out for the White House?  They'll probably be the same as Michelle's.  :mad:  Wake up America!)  It's obvious some media outlets were hoping for a brawl in Cleveland; some of our local stations here have even sent their anchors to the convention.  Deplorable as this may be (what kind of national improvement program will she run; children's nutrition?  It's time to say, enough is enough!  :mad:), it's hardly Chicago, 1968.  Maybe things aren't quite as bad as we'd like (or at least our news outlets would like us) to believe.

On the other hand the media's Trump Derangement Syndrome is highly amusing to watch.  ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Any bets on what Ted Cruz does in his speech tonight?

This is the man who said Cruz's dad helped shoot JFK after all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2016, 11:16:56 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 20, 2016, 08:48:17 AM
<boggle>

Hey Jeff, question:  last night Rudy Giuliani said that upstate New York was "impoverished" because the Obama Administration has banned fracking in New York state.  Is that true?  Is everyone impoverished up there with you because they can't frack and stuff?

Absolutely. We all pretty much sit around wondering how our great state could come to such an impasse, when if only we could frack things would be awesome.

I mean, sure, Kodak losing 50,000 jobs was rought, and Xerox shedding  65,000 was no picnic.

But not being able to frack in the manner we have never actually fracked anything at all before?

That has been really devastating.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

CNN is reporting short list of Democratic VPs:

Tim Kane
Tom Vilsak
Elizabeth Warren
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2016, 12:04:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 11:59:08 AM
Can we discuss things that the President actually does during this campaign? That would be great.

I'm going to disagree.  These stories aren't about email servers, or plagiarism - it's about how each leader responds to controversy.

I wouldn't even stop with controversy, but with crisis. Donald has always been able to deal with controversy, but this entire convention has been a living lab on the Donald and his team's crisis management.  They've eschewed political professionals during the primary season.  They've ignored political operatives on how to prepare and run a convention.  And the Melania thing is an example of how they deal with a middle-of-the-night crisis. 

At every pass, Camp Trump has faltered or outright failed, ignoring those who know for their own we-know-better counsel and decision-making processes, from the Veep rollout to convention speaker scheduling to Melania's speech snafu. 

So if this is how they handle the bumps in the road when it comes to dealing with a live political convention, how are they going to deal with the National Security Council? I am certainly worried about it and very much interested in watching these stories develop, considering he has a 50% chance of being the President of the United States.