News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Italian Funkstravaganza

Started by FunkMonk, May 07, 2013, 07:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'd visit Tivoli - short bus ride outside of Rome and nice views.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I saw Under The Tuscan Sun once.  It was nice.

alfred russel

Rent a car at least one weekend and drive somewhere beyond Tuscany and outside of a big city. Break away from the tourist hordes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 07, 2013, 08:21:37 PM
I think the places I most want to visit are places where there are a shit ton of Roman ruins. Obviously I'll be in Rome so that's already checked off. Any other places?

I didn't think about Monte Cassino, Cal. Is it in ruins or is it a museum now or still in use of what? Will I still find Germans hidden in caves on the cliffs?

I need someone to help me brush up on my (non-existent) Italian. Do most people know some basic English in Italy? Where is Pedrito?  :(
Unfortunately no, the abbey on Cassino has been rebuilt. :glare:  But there's a museum there of course and a cemetery full of Martinuses.

If you want ruins, then you must go to the aforementioned Pompeii.  It's one of the most bitchin' things ever dude.  Imagine walking down an actual Roman street that looks EXACTLY like it did back in the day, and it's not even some repro.... it's real!  It's real to the point that there are even dead Romans laying around all over the place... sorta (basically skeletons encased in concrete).  There's also a whore house with a picture of a dude with a gigantic wang painted on it.  How can you pass up something like that, son?  Answer: you cannot.

Yes, almost everyone speaks English.  The only place I encountered a wop I needed to speak with who didn't speak English was in Verona when we wanted to buy something from a shopkeep.  Between my French and Latin, Princesca's Spanish, and a very limited amount of Italian we both knew, we were able to communicate with her.  Nowadays if you have a good smart phone translator, it should be way easier.... I have a neat little tool on my Galaxy S4 called S Translate that can translate two-way conversations in close to real time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2013, 08:32:52 PM
Good one, I was there too and forgot about it. :blush:

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on May 07, 2013, 08:37:00 PM
Rent a car at least one weekend and drive somewhere beyond Tuscany and outside of a big city. Break away from the tourist hordes.
Stresa. :contract:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 08:37:16 PM
If you want ruins, then you must go to the aforementioned Pompeii.  It's one of the most bitching things ever dude.  Imagine walking down an actual Roman street that looks EXACTLY like it did back in the day, and it's not even some repro.... it's real!  It's real to the point that there are even dead Romans laying around all over the place... sorta (basically skeletons encased in concrete).  There's also a whore house with a picture of a dude with a gigantic wang painted on it.  How can you pass up something like that, son?  Answer: you cannot.

I would love to see Pompeii during my lifetime.  I think I've devoured every possible documentary on it.  Definitely a city frozen in time, one of the greatest archeological gifts ever.

Ed Anger

The problem with Italy is that it is full of Italians.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2013, 08:40:45 PM
I'm ok with that as long as all of them are chicks. :perv:

CountDeMoney

Meh, loud and hairy.  They're like South Americans, only with more pasta in their diet.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 08:42:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2013, 08:40:45 PM
I'm ok with that as long as all of them are chicks. :perv:

Milan was full of hotties when I was there.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 08:38:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2013, 08:32:52 PM
Good one, I was there too and forgot about it. :blush:

The other day I saw a photo of Hadrian's Villa and I was like that would be nice to visit. Then I remembered I had. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2013, 08:39:20 PM
I would love to see Pompeii during my lifetime.  I think I've devoured every possible documentary on it.  Definitely a city frozen in time, one of the greatest archeological gifts ever.
Yeah.  I kind of compare that to the Colosseum of Rome in my mind.  The Colosseum should be OSSUM, but it's not, because every where you turn around there's another douche in a really fake 'Roman' outfit trying to pressure you to pose with a photo for him. :rolleyes:

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2013, 08:44:16 PM
The other day I saw a photo of Hadrian's Villa and I was like that would be nice to visit. Then I remembered I had. :blush:
I remember seeing some giant garden complex in Tivoli but not sure if that was it. :hmm:

Ed Anger