Gray hair cure? Scientists find root cause of discoloration

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2013, 08:14:40 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2013, 08:08:32 AMbald men have higher levels of testosterone, for whatever that's worth.

That makes no sense...why would having hair, which is associated with youth and a period of high testosterone levels, indicate low testosterone levels?

But something that happens when you get old, a period when you have lower testosterone levels, be associated with high testosterone levels? :hmm:

I thought it was just a genetic oddity.
high testosterone and a follicle sensitivity to testosterone is a bad combination lol.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

And most men start losing their hair in their early 20s anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2013, 08:02:05 AM
My mother when grey in her 20s.

The last straw for her was when my dad brought her lunch to her lab (they were both students at the time) and someone remarked how thoughtful it was for "her son to bring her lunch".

She's been colouring her hair ever since ...

Do you know how often people mistook me for Max's mother on campus? :contract: And that was WITHOUT the gray showing. :ultra: :glare:

To be fair, that mostly happened during his orientation week when it was primarily 18-19 year olds and their parents, but still... :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2013, 08:26:37 AM

Wiki says that 25% of men starting losing their by 30.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2013, 08:26:37 AM

:huh:

Some rare cases start that early I would think.  From observation more start in their 30s but it becomes more noticeable in the 40s.

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 06:37:30 AMI don't get why dudes still fear baldness, though... just shave your head.  It's cool.

Yeah. I'll be fine going bald, whenever/if that happens. Who cares?

alfred russel

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:45:35 PM
If you can't afford rogaine, Tim, you won't be able to afford whatever else they come up with.

Rogaine is not a cure for everyone.  :cry:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on May 07, 2013, 02:04:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:45:35 PM
If you can't afford rogaine, Tim, you won't be able to afford whatever else they come up with.

Rogaine is not a cure for everyone.  :cry:

It worked just fine for me, although after some serious "do I really want to be tied to taking this medicine for the rest of my life?" consideration I gave it up.  To an earlier point, this was at around 22-24, well before 30.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on May 07, 2013, 08:38:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2013, 08:02:05 AM
My mother when grey in her 20s.

The last straw for her was when my dad brought her lunch to her lab (they were both students at the time) and someone remarked how thoughtful it was for "her son to bring her lunch".

She's been colouring her hair ever since ...

Do you know how often people mistook me for Max's mother on campus? :contract: And that was WITHOUT the gray showing. :ultra: :glare:

To be fair, that mostly happened during his orientation week when it was primarily 18-19 year olds and their parents, but still... :glare:

Aren't you actually old enough to be his mother?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?