Gray hair cure? Scientists find root cause of discoloration

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2013, 10:31:40 PM
My mom was so happy when she went "grey enough" that she could just ditch the dye and go white.

Myself, I don't midn the salt-and-pepper look, but I definitely have her hair.

Salt and pepper looks good on a man. On a woman, it just looks like she gave up. :sleep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I dunno.  That prematurely gray NYC Jewish intellectual woman look can be pretty nice.

derspiess

No clue who Yi is talking about, but Meri's right.  A few months ago I gave my wife shit for coloring her hair every 3 weeks, but when she told me to imagine her with graying hair I shut the hell up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Both my grandpas died with gorgeous manes of white hair. I got my first white hair at around the time other guys in high school started shaving. I guess I'll look dignified as hell in my old age.

Viking

Right now I'm thinking of a very cruel practical joke involving Mountain Gorillas.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I still have a full head of brown hair, but grey is starting to show up in my goatee in the form of individual gray or even white hairs.  At this point I don't want them so I remove them individually. :thatsgay:

I don't get why dudes still fear baldness, though... just shave your head.  It's cool.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 06:37:30 AM
I don't get why dudes still fear baldness, though... just shave your head.  It's cool.

Proof of lack of virility.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2013, 11:09:01 PM
I dunno.  That prematurely gray NYC Jewish intellectual woman look can be pretty nice.

It can look good, but only if you happen to gray "just so". I don't. Instead of a beautiful streak of white flowing from my temples or the bangs area, I have this salt-and-pepper motley (more salt than pepper anymore) that rings my face and goes back about an inch or so. So, when you look at me head-on (if I haven't dyed my hair) I just look all gray and washed out.

Later, when I'm almost all gray or when the gray is more white, I think I'll be more comfortable letting it go. Right now, it's in this in-between, ugly kind of phase. And since my pride and joy has always been my hair, it's been particularly hard for me. :(

Valmy

Screw this aging with dignity shit.  Give me the magic hair stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

I may be going grey, but I honestly can't tell for sure.

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on May 07, 2013, 07:52:03 AM
I may be going grey, but I honestly can't tell for sure.

:glare:

And this is why brunettes hate blondes. :contract:

:P

Malthus

My mother when grey in her 20s.

The last straw for her was when my dad brought her lunch to her lab (they were both students at the time) and someone remarked how thoughtful it was for "her son to bring her lunch".

She's been colouring her hair ever since ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2013, 06:48:30 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 06:37:30 AM

Proof of lack of virility.
bald men have higher levels of testosterone, for whatever that's worth.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2013, 08:08:32 AMbald men have higher levels of testosterone, for whatever that's worth.

That makes no sense...why would having hair, which is associated with youth and a period of high testosterone levels, indicate low testosterone levels?

But something that happens when you get old, a period when you have lower testosterone levels, be associated with high testosterone levels? :hmm:

I thought it was just a genetic oddity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2013, 08:14:40 AM
I thought it was just a genetic oddity.

It's a trait carried by your maternal side;  ergo, you use your grandfather on your mother's side as the guide to how your hair's going to go, not your own father.

Luckily, mine was a tough old Kraut that got his hair cut every Saturday like clockwork until he was 84.  Only chemo could kill those Teutonic locks.