Hundreds protest Jewish World Congress in Budapest

Started by Syt, May 05, 2013, 02:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22413301

QuoteJobbik rally against World Jewish Congress in Budapest

Hungary's far-right Jobbik party has staged a rally in central Budapest in protest at the capital's hosting of the World Jewish Congress (WJC) on Sunday.

Several hundred supporters took part, despite attempts by the government to prevent it going ahead.

Jobbik said the rally was a protest against what it said was a Jewish attempt to buy up Hungary.

The party, which says it aims to protect Hungarian values and interests, is the third largest in parliament.

It regularly issues anti-Semitic statements.

The event in Budapest on Saturday was billed as a tribute to what organisers called the victims of Bolshevism and Zionism.

"The Israeli conquerors, these investors, should look for another country in the world for themselves because Hungary is not for sale," party chairman Gabor Vona told the rally, according to Reuters news agency.

Marton Gyongyosi said Hungary had "become subjugated to Zionism, it has become a target of colonisation while we, the indigenous people, can play only the role of extras".

Last year, Mr Gyongyosi had sparked outrage by saying all government officials of Jewish origin should be officially listed, as they might be a "national security risk".

'Worrying sign'

Some of those taking part in the rally were wearing the black uniform of Jobbik's banned paramilitary wing, the Hungary Guard, which has been accused of vigilante action against Roma (Gypsy) communities.

Prime Minister Viktor Orban had ordered police to ban the march, but a Budapest court overruled the ban, saying it had been based on "unfounded presumptions".

Mr Orban instead instructed the interior ministry to use all lawful means to prevent the event, which goes against the constitution".

Security was tight around the rally, with police blocking several streets, but there were no reports of unrest.

The WJC usually hosts its assembly in Jerusalem, but has chosen Hungary this year to highlight what it says is growing anti-Semitism in Europe.

The focus of its summit this year will be on the "alarming rise of neo-Nazi political parties and anti-Semitic incidents in several European countries, including Hungary", it says on its website.

Spokesman Michael Thaidigsmann said the Jobbik rally was a "worrying sign that these people express their anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli ideology in such a public way".

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

It's funny how Orban is trying to play it both ways without realizing that his attempts to ban the march despite a court ruling makes his country look even worse like a tinpot dictatorship.

Scipio

Only hundreds?  I guess that counts as progress for the Huns.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Why would they have the World Jewish Congress in Nazi Hungary?  Was 1933 Nuremberg not available, or are they just attention whoring?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

The WJC funded Wallenberg so you can hardly blame the Hungarians for being upset.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2013, 02:21:26 PM
Why would they have the World Jewish Congress in Nazi Hungary?  Was 1933 Nuremberg not available, or are they just attention whoring?

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

No shit.  That's like holding the Democratic National Convention in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.  Or North Carolina, for that matter.

Tamas

Yeah, kind of strange. I guess they wanted to put up a "we are not afraid" show? Anyways a few hundreds is really not much

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2013, 02:54:11 PM
Yeah, kind of strange. I guess they wanted to put up a "we are not afraid" show? Anyways a few hundreds is really not much

Come on it's enough for newspaper articles and tv news items; probably both side were satisfied by the media coverage.   :hmm:

I guess "1,740,700 people in Budapest go about their usual weekend activities" isn't much of a headline.

Or for that matter "700 Jews meet in Israel to discuss stuff"  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2013, 02:54:11 PM

In the article I read about this it was mentioned that Budapest had been chosen as a sign of support to the Hungarian Jewish community, after the harrassment they had been suffering.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2013, 02:46:21 PM

No shit.  That's like holding the Democratic National Convention in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.  Or North Carolina, for that matter.

At a Nascar track :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

My guess is that some Hungarians invited them to show that the country has progressed.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2013, 03:37:53 PM
My guess is that some Hungarians invited them to show that the country has progressed.
Since yesterday?  Besides, why would a leftist in Hungary want to embarrass themselves like that?  They know that their country is well down the track to fascism, and that part of their leader's support base is the anti-Jewish element.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2013, 02:23:30 AM
It's funny how Orban is trying to play it both ways without realizing that his attempts to ban the march despite a court ruling makes his country look even worse like a tinpot dictatorship.

Wouldn't Germany do the same?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017