News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rhinos extinct in Mozambique, again

Started by garbon, May 02, 2013, 09:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Don't you think some smart cookie would go into the rhino farming business?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2013, 06:23:34 PM
Don't you think some smart cookie would go into the rhino farming business?

No kidding, right?  If the simpleton fucktards in the East and the ME want to maintain an ivory supply to sprinkle on their morning oatmeal for better hard-ons or to make their goofy trinkets, you'd think somebody would've come up with a plan for the controlled harvesting of ivory producers, like tree replacement programs.  Because once it's gone, it's gone.

Neil

That might be possible if there was enough courage in the civilized world to recolonize Africa.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2013, 06:11:01 PM
Unlivable for people might be livable for smaller animals.  And it's not like people can really damage the habitability of the Earth in the long term.

Aren't you the one always going on about how some jihadist is going to eventually crash a space ship into the earth at high velocity? Couldn't a strong enough collision make the earth lose its atmosphere? That's what the meteor crash simulators say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 02, 2013, 06:57:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2013, 06:11:01 PM
Unlivable for people might be livable for smaller animals.  And it's not like people can really damage the habitability of the Earth in the long term.

Aren't you the one always going on about how some jihadist is going to eventually crash a space ship into the earth at high velocity? Couldn't a strong enough collision make the earth lose its atmosphere? That's what the meteor crash simulators say.
That's beyond current technology.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2013, 06:32:59 PM
That might be possible if there was enough courage in the civilized world to recolonize Africa.

The problem with Africa is that it's full of Africans?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2013, 07:02:10 PM
That's beyond current technology.

Sure, but the death of humanity is not imminent.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 02, 2013, 07:04:26 PM

I'll pass on the Prima Nocta.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 02, 2013, 07:04:26 PM
To some degree.  The real problem is the lack of government control.  If Africa were either still colonized or allowed to develop into nation-states, things would probably be better.

Razgovory

The real problem with Africa is that it's tough place to live.  Bad climate, bad soil, full of diseases.  Africa never developed strong states because there just wasn't enough excess wealth to really subjugate tribal leaders (not to mention enemy tribes).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Don't overgeneralize, west Africa had several strong states.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 08:24:35 PM
The real problem with Africa is that it's tough place to live.  Bad climate, bad soil, full of diseases.  Africa never developed strong states because there just wasn't enough excess wealth to really subjugate tribal leaders (not to mention enemy tribes).
The fact that humans evolved there and are best adapted to its climate makes me doubt this hypothesis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2013, 07:26:38 AM
The fact that humans evolved there and are best adapted to its climate makes me doubt this hypothesis.
Lots of things are well adapted to live there.  That's why we got the fuck out.

Mind you, Africa did form up some strong but primitive states.

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2013, 07:26:38 AM
Why? Most of Eurasian history is strong ethnicities trying to get the fuck out of the steppe. Pressures of living in Africa might have given us some advantages.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

A better example would be the colonization of South America by Eurasian-North American animals after the continents collided. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."