News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Volunteering abroad is stupid

Started by Josquius, May 02, 2013, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I torment door knockers, jesus freaks, ADT salesmen and my new pet peeve, the energy company people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I would always get my Dad when the Witnesses knocked on Saturday mornings, since he was always nice enough to listen to them.  Drove Mom batshit. 
I liked the copies of the Watchtower, because they always had really cool illustrations of armageddon on the cover.

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2013, 01:32:54 PM
What about this situation, Malthus?  A childhood friend of Princesca's went to Mali, but instead of being a giant hippy with the Peace Corps she instead went as a Southern Baptist missionary, ostensibly to help 'teach' the children of whatever shithole town she went to.  I guess she wasn't aware that the people of Mali already have a religion they are pretty well committed to? :hmm:

Hey, I come from the Jewish tradition. In our tradition, being a missionary of any sort is just rude.

The Jewish attitude is: everyone should stick with their own absurd ancestral beliefs. Hey, ours are totally silly, and you don't see us trying to convince anyone else to believe this stuff, right?  :D

OTOH, if she's just there to help out because it's the good religious thing to do or whatever, and not to try and convince the people of Mali to be Baptists, not a big deal.
Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2013, 01:32:54 PM
What about this situation, Malthus?  A childhood friend of Princesca's went to Mali, but instead of being a giant hippy with the Peace Corps she instead went as a Southern Baptist missionary, ostensibly to help 'teach' the children of whatever shithole town she went to.  I guess she wasn't aware that the people of Mali already have a religion they are pretty well committed to? :hmm:

Hey, I come from the Jewish tradition. In our tradition, being a missionary of any sort is just rude.

The Jewish attitude is: everyone should stick with their own absurd ancestral beliefs. Hey, ours are totally silly, and you don't see us trying to convince anyone else to believe this stuff, right?  :D

OTOH, if she's just there to help out because it's the good religious thing to do or whatever, and not to try and convince the people of Mali to be Baptists, not a big deal.

thats my attitude too. yet so many people of germanic stock insist on this jewish god stuff. pah.

missionaries are scum. its a bit of a different topic to this but they just annoy me so much. theyre pretty common in japan. all the worse because they think theyre in the right with their immoral deeds
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2013, 05:00:04 PM
I torment door knockers, jesus freaks, ADT salesmen and my new pet peeve, the energy company people.

Post a sign.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on May 04, 2013, 04:19:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2013, 05:00:04 PM

Post a sign.

Doesn't work. Plus they are argumentative now. Some black bitch from DP&L energy had the balls to refuse to leave my property when told to STFU and git.

Now the gate stays shut. FESTUNG ED.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"