And we're back!

Main Menu

Volunteering abroad is stupid

Started by Josquius, May 02, 2013, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 04:09:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 03:27:19 PM
I'm with Beeb.  Everyone gets one free line of dialogue before annoyance is justified.

Even ringing your doorbell at 9 AM on a Saturday?

I had some Mormons ring my doorbell at 8:30 PM on a weeknight once, after I had just spent over an hour trying to get my sick daughter to go to sleep (she had a fever and was feeling super shitty). The doorbell, of course, woke her.

They got such a fucking earful from me.

Oh, and I had a "NO SOLICITING" sign right by the doorbell, too. He tried to argue with me about what "solicitation" meant, before he saw how angry he was making me.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Nope.  And the door to door guys never ever ever just have one line of dialogue.

Barrister

I'm with Beeb.  Everyone gets one free line of dialogue before annoyance is justified.

Is 9am supposed to be early? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 04:16:30 PM

:rolleyes:

Malthus

Are you my dad or something?  :lol:

"It's 9 AM on a weekend - ready to chop some trees down after a 10 km hike?"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 04:14:46 PMNope.  And the door to door guys never ever ever just have one line of dialogue.

With me they do...

MISSIONARY
    Hi, are you concerned about [some social problem that's being used for purposes of proselytizing]?

Missionary's five year old kid looks miserable.

JACOB
   Thanks I'm not interested. Have a nice day.

Jacob closes door.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 04:16:30 PMIs 9am supposed to be early? :unsure:

Early enough that I'm doing other stuff, like getting ready to go somewhere, cooking, having sex, reading a book, or otherwise enjoying my time not being at work.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 04:19:58 PM

I have young kids - they get up at the same time whether or not it's the weekend...

fhdz

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 04:16:30 PMIs 9am supposed to be early? :unsure:

Early enough that I'm doing other stuff, like getting ready to go somewhere, cooking, having sex, reading a book, or otherwise enjoying my time not being at work.

:yes:

Or, Wotan forbid, actually still sleeping. Once in a blue moon nothing beats a good sleep-in.

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 04:19:58 PM

I have young kids - they get up at the same time whether or not it's the weekend...

I remember those days - doesn't make it any more appropriate for someone to come to my door. They didn't know whether I had kids or not.

Jacob

Bottom line: People trying to sell you shit, unsolicited, is rude and annoying. Proselytizing is trying to sell you something. It's rude and annoying. It can be more or less rude and annoying depending on the context, but it's rude and annoying.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 04:03:32 PM
Whether it is to get directions, some loose change, or to save your soul, the person making the pitch because it is important to them.  So I don't think it's fair to feel annoyed at that.

I am not offended that someone is lost and needs some help.  That says nothing about me.  I am not offended that someone needs to know what time it is.  That says nothing about me.  I am offended and annoyed when someone wants to save my soul because it says there is something about me that needs to change.

If you cant see the difference there it is because you have consumed the cool aid.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2013, 04:31:40 PM
Bottom line: People trying to sell you shit, unsolicited, is rude and annoying. Proselytizing is trying to sell you something. It's rude and annoying. It can be more or less rude and annoying depending on the context, but it's rude and annoying.

But it isn't annoying or rude, at least inherently.  I had my driveway shovelled once this winter when a young girl offered to do it for me for $10.  I've bought candy bars to fund kids going somewhere, and cookies from girl scouts.

It's all in how it's done.

And you don't have to answer the door if you don't want to.

Admiral Yi

Disagree.  They are trying to provide you with information.  There are theoretically people in the world who feel they would benefit from the information (people do in reality convert).  So one line of dialogue is sufficient to find out if you're receptive to the message or not.

p.s. Also agree with Beeb that not every attempt at a sale is by definition rude.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 04:41:02 PM

But it isn't annoying or rude, at least inherently.

BB, to show the conviction of your words please post a sign prominantly in your front yard that says "door to door salespeople welcome!"