News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Volunteering abroad is stupid

Started by Josquius, May 02, 2013, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 03, 2013, 08:09:59 AM
No idea.  I just saw that you weren't advocating the only moral position (letting the Africans genocide each other) and got angry.

Do not worry, I am not doing anything to help people abroad I was only saying what I would do if I wanted to :contract:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Phillip V on May 02, 2013, 08:48:31 PM
Here is one in India. She will make these Indian females equal and treated with respect, and hopefully she does not get raped by a frat guy when she returns home.

Does she realize that those kids probably think she is a dumbass?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 03, 2013, 09:14:54 AM
Does she realize that those kids probably think she is a dumbass?
Nope, because she's too busy "helping" them.  White man's burden :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Oh, I have an ancedote to offer up: my parents have college friends whose daughter went to some shithole part of Africa to do stuff like this, and ended up being raped and almost murdered. :(

Malthus

While I appreciate the typical Languish cynicism - none finer  ;) - perhaps what you guys are missing here is that part of the point of such volunteerism isn't simply to offer the (perhaps negligible) physical help of a know-nothing idealistic young Westerner, but to educate said Westerner about the place he or she is being sent, to give them an insight into how other folks live there, and perhaps inspire them to further empathy for the situation these people face?

You don't get any of that from simply cutting a cheque. And while in the short run, earning some cash and cutting a cheque may very well be a better use of these kids' time in terms of efficuency of aid, in the long run, having some actual experience of (and empathy for) these people may be a better investment - as its most crass, it will ensure more cheques in the future.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2013, 09:57:33 AM
Oh, I have an ancedote to offer up: my parents have college friends whose daughter went to some shithole part of Africa to do stuff like this, and ended up being raped and almost murdered. :(
It is not uncommon. I have read that female Peace Corps get raped each year with little post-support or prosecution of their attackers.

And why wouldn't it be? Unprotected Western women (or any women) in 3rd world (or even 1st world) countries seem like easy targets. I tell young women who want to join the military or volunteer abroad that if they are truly passionate about their beliefs, they need to be ready to be raped and/or die for their cause.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 10:09:37 AM
While I appreciate the typical Languish cynicism - none finer  ;) - perhaps what you guys are missing here is that part of the point of such volunteerism isn't simply to offer the (perhaps negligible) physical help of a know-nothing idealistic young Westerner, but to educate said Westerner about the place he or she is being sent, to give them an insight into how other folks live there, and perhaps inspire them to further empathy for the situation these people face?

You don't get any of that from simply cutting a cheque. And while in the short run, earning some cash and cutting a cheque may very well be a better use of these kids' time in terms of efficuency of aid, in the long run, having some actual experience of (and empathy for) these people may be a better investment - as its most crass, it will ensure more cheques in the future.

I just figure if you are going to take the time and money to help people abroad you should find people who know the country and how things work there and has a good idea about what is actually needed.  Going over there to gawk at the poors for my own personal enrichment seems a little...erm...wrong somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Yea, this is how I've always seen it, at least with the college related stuff.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2013, 10:41:24 AM

I just figure if you are going to take the time and money to help people abroad you should find people who know the country and how things work there and has a good idea about what is actually needed.  Going over there to gawk at the poors for my own personal enrichment seems a little...erm...wrong somehow.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on May 03, 2013, 10:38:35 AM
It is not uncommon. I have read that female Peace Corps get raped each year with little post-support or prosecution of their attackers.
IIRC she was in the Peace Corps, yeah.  Hot, too. :ph34r:

Phillip V

That's what I tell women. Talking and messaging isn't enough. We need to get physically intimate in order to truly know each other. :)

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2013, 10:41:24 AM

The point isn't, in large part, the immediate benefit of the kid's labour - though that is nice.

The point is to engage the kid's empathy, so that rather than just "gawking at the poors", they approach their position in a somewhat different light - presumably making an ongoing difference.

If this is the case, an increase in immediate efficiency is of course welcome, but a lack of it isn't fatal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

These young kids could join the Army or Marines. They help out poor countries. Build schools, wells, infrastructure and so fourth. They can learn a tech trade depending on what MOS they join. Army and Marines are basically like the Peace Corps with the added bonus of the weapons.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.