News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Campaign to Stop Killer Robots!

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2013, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Warspite on April 30, 2013, 05:22:09 AM
Professor Noel Sharkey knows balls-all about how militaries conduct their affairs, and indeed from analysis I've read of his, knows less about robotics than should be the case. It's infuriating how he keeps getting wheeled out for comment on anything to do with autonomous weapon systems in the press.

There are very good arguments against fully autonomous weapon systems. But the killer robots campaign is not making them.

I've interviewed Sharkey twice, including apropos of this current campaign, and he does regret that the "killer robot" angle has been picked up to attract press headlines. The main thing they are campaigning for is the language of the relevant Geneva Convention article to be updated to cover meaningful human supervision of all automated targeting. The last update was in the 70s when mobile phones weren't even around.

While "human in the loop" is a prerequisite for a kill order, exactly how that works does need to be ratified. For example, in the Iraq war, the Patriot system shot down a British Tornado and two American fighter jets by mistake, despite a 10-second window in which a human could have vetoed the shot.

Brazen

Awesome article by a colleague on new military AI for autonomous systems here:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e0f0a6ae#/e0f0a6ae/18

dps

Quote from: Brazen on October 22, 2013, 05:03:49 AM
Quote from: Warspite on April 30, 2013, 05:22:09 AM
Professor Noel Sharkey knows balls-all about how militaries conduct their affairs, and indeed from analysis I've read of his, knows less about robotics than should be the case. It's infuriating how he keeps getting wheeled out for comment on anything to do with autonomous weapon systems in the press.

There are very good arguments against fully autonomous weapon systems. But the killer robots campaign is not making them.

I've interviewed Sharkey twice, including apropos of this current campaign, and he does regret that the "killer robot" angle has been picked up to attract press headlines. The main thing they are campaigning for is the language of the relevant Geneva Convention article to be updated to cover meaningful human supervision of all automated targeting. The last update was in the 70s when mobile phones weren't even around.

While "human in the loop" is a prerequisite for a kill order, exactly how that works does need to be ratified. For example, in the Iraq war, the Patriot system shot down a British Tornado and two American fighter jets by mistake, despite a 10-second window in which a human could have vetoed the shot.

"Friendly fire" isn't something new with automated systems.  Just ask Stonewall Jackson.

Ideologue

I'm not driving all the way out to where they dump the bodies of people who don't receive Christian burials.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on October 22, 2013, 03:03:07 AM
And when they grab you with those metal claws, you can't break free.  Because they're made of metal, and robots are strong.

:thumbsup:

They use old people's medicine for food.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

Damn killer robots gonna make unemployment go up.

We need more regulations and more taxes to enforce the regulations.

Also, we need real human tellers, not ATMs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"