Afghanistan Or Syria, Which 'Proxy' Falls First ?

Started by mongers, April 29, 2013, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afghanistan Or Syria, Which 'Proxy' Falls First ?

Karzai's Afghanistan Falls First
4 (20%)
al-Assad's Syria Falls First
13 (65%)
At About The Same Time
0 (0%)
Neither Falls, Both Carry On For A Good Few More Years
2 (10%)
Don't Know.
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

mongers

In some ways you could view these two regimes as proxies for the 'East' and the 'West', Russia and Iran still back Syria and the West backs Karzai in Kabul.

OK the conflicts are different, Afghanistan's conflict having simmered slowly for years now, whereas Syria's has continued to escalated over the last two years. But I think the Karzai kleptocracy doesn't have anywhere near the stomach for a fight that the al-Assad's do, so it's a more evened out comparison.

So my question is which fails or falls first ?

One metric might be to consider the fall of the capital, be it Kabul or Damascus, to be the convenient end of the regime.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Does Aghanistan "fall" if Karzai loses an election and steps down?

CountDeMoney

Afghanistan will die a long, slow and expensive death, reverting back to 1990's form in due time.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 06:40:08 PM
Does Aghanistan "fall" if Karzai loses an election and steps down?

No that's the long run, remember we'll all be dead then.  :P

Seriously, no, it's the system's fall that counts, though I'd argue it's his or at least was partial built for and around him. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 06:41:49 PM
Afghanistan will die a long, slow and expensive death, reverting back to 1990's form in due time.

I expect it will be a rerun of the post-Soviet days: Taliban controls the Pashtun areas, Karzai hangs on in the capital.

Ed Anger

I won't shed a tear when Karzai gets a bullet to the back of the head.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

mongers

CountDeMoney

Oh, hell yeah.  He's the ultimate Afghani to do business with, too.  No bullshit with him.  He calls 'em like he sees 'em, and then kills 'em.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 07:39:19 PM
Oh, hell yeah.  He's the ultimate Afghani to do business with, too.  No bullshit with him.  He calls 'em like he sees 'em, and then kills 'em.

The John Wayne of Afghanistan.   :D

Read the somewhat confusing wiki about him, seems he still has a few more miles/massacres/change of sides left in him.

DGuller

For Afghanistan to fall, it has to get up first.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!