News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox Games

Started by dps, April 28, 2013, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Paradox game would give me best value?

CKII
43 (93.5%)
HOI3
1 (2.2%)
Vicky2
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2013, 05:48:10 PM
Hands down CKII is best. And i have all three of them so i speak from first hand experience.

Syt

Quote from: PRC on April 29, 2013, 11:03:02 AM
CK II.  I haven't played Victoria II yet but this new expansion has me wanting to give it a try.

Wait for a patch. Currently, the AI releases dominions whenever they can. It mostly runs: AI releases dominions, invests free colonization points in colonies, releases them as dominions etc. I hope they tie it to a tech, like German unification.

The original gameplay idea was that you build up your fleet to gain colonization points.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

From what I hear there:s a bit of an issue with a super on the ball AI always increasing its colonial investments at the first second they can, which means there:s less of a colonial race and more of a long wait where whoever went first wins. My friend who did buy it says he stopped playing within a few hours when he realised he was just looking at uncolonised parts of the map and waiting
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2013, 09:23:36 PM
Crusader Kings II is their best since EUII, possibly their best ever.  It's also the most accessible.
EUIII is incredible once you add all the expansions. Second only to CKII in my opinion. HOI2 comes in an entertaining third place.

Given how well they did with the family dynamics and all the expansions with CK2, I'm starting to think they should revisit classical Europe. I think they'd be able to make a game as a patrician Roman family interesting and fun.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 07, 2013, 02:48:19 AM
Crusader Kings II is their best since EUII, possibly their best ever.  It's also the most accessible.
EUIII is incredible once you add all the expansions. Second only to CKII in my opinion. HOI2 comes in an entertaining third place.

Given how well they did with the family dynamics and all the expansions with CK2, I'm starting to think they should revisit classical Europe. I think they'd be able to make a game as a patrician Roman family interesting and fun.

They need to move away from their core "paint the map your faction's colour" game for that really.
Which is easier said than done given gamers have been raised into that sort of world.
But if managed yes, could be great.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I think they already did that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2013, 11:12:34 AM

I think they already did that.

That's why he said revisit.  The game they came out with was not interesting nor was it fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I think they should come out with a game set in Hyperborea... they own the license to do that, right?  That way they would be free to innovate without a bunch of fucking nerds going "WAAAAAH WAAAAAAH ITS 1420 AND GRANADA ALWAYS GETS DESTROYED THATS NOT REALITSIC!!!!!!!!!!!" or nationalist nerds going "WHY CANNOT I CONQEUR THE WORLD WITH BULGARIA!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

No, instead you will get a new group of nerds complaining that the stats for Stygian priests are incorrect and that the inner workings of the Aquilonian court aren't properly taken into account. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

AnchorClanker

Looks like I need to plump for CKII   :pope:

I quite liked Vicky II, though.  Spain was always fun to play.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2013, 02:59:49 AM

They need to move away from their core "paint the map your faction's colour" game for that really.
Which is easier said than done given gamers have been raised into that sort of world.
But if managed yes, could be great.
Roman politicians were all about painting the map red to gain prestige and loot. Don't see why they'd have to move away from it. After all, warfare isn't the reason that CK2 is fun, but it's still an integral part of the game and painting the map your color is still a main goal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2013, 03:27:02 AMpainting the map your color is still a main goal.

Only if you make it so. It's never been a goal in any of my CK or CK 2 games.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

And in game about Classical Europe made with the same engine, doubtlessly you'd have the option to opt out of the imperial race as well.

1 Karma Chameleon point