Rich get richer as economy gets better; everyone else is worse off

Started by merithyn, April 23, 2013, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 04:55:45 PM
lol, ever occur to you that people realize you just arent listening...
They're not listening themselves if that's what their conclusion is.  In the post that you're ignoring, Malthus confirmed that I was listening correctly, and that we all initially had the same understanding of what "predictable" meant.

garbon

I'm always concerned when DGul and I end on the same side of an issue. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2013, 02:14:25 PM
You are fighting the hypothetical again.

Read carefully: if I drink and drive and get into an accident because of that, this is "not a predictable result" according to you?

I'm confused now. How does the probability of having an accident in the near future depend on whether you've already had it? Have I missed the invention of time travel?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2013, 04:23:12 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2013, 03:45:58 PM
What I said ... well, I've said it a million times already: that the lack of asset diversification increased the risk of the actual outcome seen here in a way that was, or ought to have been, foreseeable.
Oh, but it didn't increase the risk of the actual outcome.  As I was repeatedly trying to say, diversification doesn't affect the chance of one portfolio growing more than another portfolio.
Here it is again.

Odd then that we got on a tangent from here into what is predictable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 05:16:58 PM
Hey, behind the scenes, I triple-checked my reasoning during this debate, and ran Excel simulations of diversified and undiversified portfolios (with admittedly rather crude assumptions).  Why do you think I checked myself so thoroughly? :hug:

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on April 24, 2013, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2013, 02:14:25 PM
You are fighting the hypothetical again.

Read carefully: if I drink and drive and get into an accident because of that, this is "not a predictable result" according to you?

I'm confused now. How does the probability of having an accident in the near future depend on whether you've already had it? Have I missed the invention of time travel?

You have to go with something like with conventional wisdom it isn't surprising that a drunk driver would get in an accident.  The same then can be applied to someone who lost net worth with non-diversified holdings...though I'm not sure in either case that's really fair and instead really the gift of hindsight.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2013, 05:22:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 05:16:58 PM
Hey, behind the scenes, I triple-checked my reasoning during this debate, and ran Excel simulations of diversified and undiversified portfolios (with admittedly rather crude assumptions).  Why do you think I checked myself so thoroughly? :hug:

:lol: :P

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 24, 2013, 04:27:41 PM
Well I'm glad one of the few potentially interesting economics threads on Languish in awhile is now just DGuller and Malthus arguing about the word predictable.

FWIW, I think such an outcome here was highly predictable.

Yes, I agree on both counts. 

Now let someone twist that.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

That said, D, my work at least very lightly deals with prediction. Pharmas wouldn't pay me if I wasn't suggesting something about what might happen with their product. :D

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2013, 05:27:36 PM
Well I'm glad one of the few potentially interesting economics threads on Languish in awhile is now just DGuller and Malthus arguing about the word predictable.

I think that's fine as there is probably a decent chance that any Languish thread will devolve into semantics. So far to say that one could reasonably predict a thread heading towards semantics at some point. Sort of like how our threads used to invariably involve Giant Ants of Brest-Litovsk or the ACW. :(

mongers

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 05:30:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2013, 05:27:36 PM

I think that's fine as there is probably a decent chance that any Languish thread will devolve into semantics. So far to say that one could reasonably predict a thread heading towards semantics at some point. Sort of like how our threads used to invariably involve Giant Ants of Brest-Litovsk or the ACW. :(

So are you saying my post was 'predictable' ?    :mad:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2013, 05:34:03 PM
So are you saying my post was 'predictable' ?    :mad:

:P

Within the expected range of your posting style, sure. :P

Eddie Teach

This thread needs more ranting about 1%ers and less lawyers.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

Speaking of the rich getting better off, the Bank of England today confirmed that its subsidised lending programme to businesses will apply to property investors.

This means that the buy-to-let market in the South East of England is going to get yet another state-guaranteed shot in the arm, with increasing amounts of money chasing the limited housing stock in the region. Meanwhile, planning regulation reform has, it is revealed, not actually resulted in any great change in the number of new houses being built.

Looks like another property bubble is on the way.

One also has to wonder how the UK economy might be better off if there were not such a large intergenerational transfer of wealth going on through the rental sector right now, siphoning off half of take-home pay from young consumers to wealthy older people.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.