New York City aims to ban cigarette sales to under 21s

Started by garbon, April 22, 2013, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2013, 05:04:51 PM
I don't see the hypocrisy in tightening overly lax laws and at the same time relaxing overly strict laws.

The hypocrisy is, as Malthus pointed out, the drive to eventually make cigarettes illegal.  People like Bloomberg and Quinn want overly strict laws on cigarettes.  They probably do not support relaxing pot laws, either, though.

Sheilbh

<_<

Poor kids today. It's difficult to smoke or drink :(
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2013, 04:57:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 22, 2013, 04:46:50 PM
No booze, no smokes. You guys just don't want anyone under 21 to have fun.

If only the alcohol age being 21 kept kids from puking on my sidewalk and subway platforms. :(
forbidden fruit leads to excess. Places with a more realistic approach to drinking seem to have less issues. Except the ukers, the just really love to drink to excess. Seems almost cultural at this point. Probably thatchers fault somehow. 

Oh, and Russia. But they're Russians. Practically bottle feed their babies vodka.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 22, 2013, 05:10:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2013, 05:04:51 PM
I don't see the hypocrisy in tightening overly lax laws and at the same time relaxing overly strict laws.

The hypocrisy is, as Malthus pointed out, the drive to eventually make cigarettes illegal.  People like Bloomberg and Quinn want overly strict laws on cigarettes.  They probably do not support relaxing pot laws, either, though.

That's not really hypocritical then. :hmm:

Besides, it isn't like places are saying you can smoke weed anywhere you feel like it, are they?

Also, smoking isn't the only way to consume weed - but probably the only way to consume a cigarette.  :shutup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on April 22, 2013, 05:14:39 PM
forbidden fruit leads to excess. Places with a more realistic approach to drinking seem to have less issues. Except the ukers, the just really love to drink to excess. Seems almost cultural at this point. Probably thatchers fault somehow. 

Oh, and Russia. But they're Russians. Practically bottle feed their babies vodka.
:mad:

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2013, 05:24:13 PM

tell me I'm lying :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on April 22, 2013, 05:33:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2013, 05:24:13 PM

tell me I'm lying :D
I personally didn't have a full serving of alcohol until I was 9 or so.  :mad:

Maximus

Quote from: fahdiz on April 22, 2013, 04:14:57 PM
You know, I'm trying to get a Freedom Boner about this and be all irritated...but I just can't. It'd be easier if cigarette smoking were a victimless vice, but second hand smoke sux big time.
Indeed, but it makes no sense to just restrict it for minors. It makes much more sense to treat it like the public health hazard it is and forbid it in public.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2013, 08:39:04 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 22, 2013, 04:14:57 PM
You know, I'm trying to get a Freedom Boner about this and be all irritated...but I just can't. It'd be easier if cigarette smoking were a victimless vice, but second hand smoke sux big time.
Indeed, but it makes no sense to just restrict it for minors. It makes much more sense to treat it like the public health hazard it is and forbid it in public.

Well I think at this point, only the sidewalks are left in New York. Banned indoors where people work and in parks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I'm for the State.

I say this as I smoke a cigarette. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2013, 04:18:02 PM
Seems pretty obvious that the laws are going to gradually tighten up until cigarette smoking is illegal period.
...and yet marijuana laws in the US are getting increasingly relaxed. :wacko:

I suspect eventually they will both end up in the same place, eventually - illegal to use in public; the cops will enforce what amounts to a fine if you are annoying someone with it.

Eventually, the state will find a way to tax and regulate sale of both, to the very edge of where taxing/regulating makes smuggling profitable and widespread.

Widespread public disapproval (and legal strictness) makes, and will increasingly make, smoking an unviable addiction. You can enjoy the occasional joint in your off-hours easily enough, but it's really hard to be a smoker like that - most need to smoke periodically all day, and this will become increasingly difficult to do and live a normal lifestyle.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2013, 08:11:52 AM
Widespread public disapproval (and legal strictness) makes, and will increasingly make, smoking an unviable addiction. You can enjoy the occasional joint in your off-hours easily enough, but it's really hard to be a smoker like that - most need to smoke periodically all day, and this will become increasingly difficult to do and live a normal lifestyle.

Oh yeah, you're the modern equivalent of a leper these days.  It's already banned in so many public places here as it is.  The Maryland Senate passed a bill this session banning smoking in your car with child passengers under the age of 8.

viper37

Seems pretty obvious that the laws are going to gradually tighten up until cigarette smoking is illegal period.
they've been saying that for 30 years in Canada, you know.  It still hasn't happenned.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2013, 10:09:39 AM
they've been saying that for 30 years in Canada, you know.  It still hasn't happenned.

Well I can't speak for Canada but we certainly have seen increasingly tight regulations on smoking.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2013, 10:09:39 AM

Thirty years ago, you could smoke pretty well everywhere, and people did. There were ashtrays in offce building elevators. There were smoking sections in restaurants.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius