Mars needs Women! And Men! (One way ticket only)

Started by Syt, April 19, 2013, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 01:06:48 PM
Drive 'em up to Canada and leave them somewhere.
Why would you want to torture them like that?  You're a bad person :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

QuoteTo minimise radiation, the project team will cover the domes with several metres of soil, which the colonists will have to dig up.

I think I see a flaw in the plan somewhere.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 01:08:23 PM

No kidding.  No chance in hell we would want those people allowed across our border.

garbon

Builds character.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2013, 12:38:34 PM
Of course.  Remember, before the age of homosexualism, mankind was capable of great things.

We have been able to accomplish things since Sparta, Neil. ;)
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 01:05:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 12:31:14 PM
QuoteApplicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team
Are there really well-adjusted people who would volunteer to leave Earth forever?
Of course.  Remember, before the age of homosexualism, mankind was capable of great things.
Sure there was always the risk that they wouldn't return but I don't think the premise of our manned space travel was - you will never come back.
That's certainly been implied in most space colonization schemes that I've ever seen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2013, 05:25:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 01:05:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 12:31:14 PM
QuoteApplicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team
Are there really well-adjusted people who would volunteer to leave Earth forever?
Sure there was always the risk that they wouldn't return but I don't think the premise of our manned space travel was - you will never come back.
That's certainly been implied in most space colonization schemes that I've ever seen.

I don't watch out for space colonization schemes. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Why would you want to torture them like that? 

Because of Celine Dion.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2013, 12:45:29 AM
I don't watch out for space colonization schemes. :mellow:
Well, your ignorance isn't my problem.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Colonization sounds fun and all, but there are a couple major logistical issues that can't just be solved by tech.

- A charter.  You're putting society in a new geographic location not affiliated with any current legal structure.  Somebody's going to run into problems, so it'd be best to have a charter hammered out prior to arrival.

- Procreation.  Unless your seed population is huge, you're only going to get a couple of generations before inbreeding becomes a major concern.

That said, there are some issues that I just don't believe technology's caught up to yet.

- Shelter.  Sounds like a non-issue until you realize that everything for this colony has to be sheltered from the Martian conditions.  Not just the settlers, but the food supply and the water supply as well.  So no matter what you do, until we can jump-start the Martian magnetic field, you're always going to be carrying more material for shelter than settlers and supplies.  Not exactly a recipe for a self-sustaining colony.

- Protein.  While there's voluntary vegetarianism, humans are still omnivores and vegetarianism tends to involve an extremely fine-tuned diet.  Since we can't guarantee the necessary plants will thrive, we'd need to carry animal stock to a settlement, and by the way, they'd have to be sheltered as well.  So, going back to the previous point, now you're talking shelter for humans, agricultural supplies, a closed water system, and ranged animals as well.

A caveat: I suppose one way around the shelter issue is to design the colony ship itself to be repurposed on landing for shelter, but given that you're going to accept much more confined conditions for travel, you're still talking a massive amount of material cargo.

ETA: A simple soil filter won't fly on Mars, either.  The soil's heavily irradiated, so you'd need to either bring your own soil or take a chance on decontaminating the Martian soil.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I think another serious problem is that few people would want to live on Mars.  Outside of a scientific teams setting up research teams there is nothing to attract people.  Mars is a bit like Antarctica, people could live there, but nobody wants to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2013, 09:32:14 AM
I think another serious problem is that few people would want to live on Mars.  Outside of a scientific teams setting up research teams there is nothing to attract people.  Mars is a bit like Antarctica, people could live there, but nobody wants to.

Not necessarily.  I can think of plenty of people for whom the smaller population and lack of inundation with pop culture references would be draw factors.  There's a "pioneering spirit" that centers on misanthropy rather than scientific interest.
Experience bij!