That Brain from Sweden develops 20,000 Leagues Above The Clouds

Started by Syt, April 19, 2013, 10:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Mostly posted for the developers' name. :lol:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/19/20000-leagues-above-the-clouds-announced/

QuoteScandinavia really is becoming a hotbed of fascinating indie projects. Yet another studio has spawned in Sweden, this time emerging from the likes of Grin, Gameloft and Media Molecule, called That Brain. And this team of just two has already got a long way into an impressive looking single-player airship game, 20,000 Leagues Above The Clouds. You can see the first footage of the mission-led trading/exploring below, and indeed find out how to join their team – they're hiring.

It's a peculiar announcement video, beginning more like a tourism advert for Stockholm, but eventually remembering that it's meant to be about a game. And is seemingly narrated by Bjork. (I'm fairly sure it's not.)

Obviously this is not the only airship combat game. Air Buccaneers and Guns Of Icarus spring immediately to mind. But what stands out here – from my misanthropic perspective at least – is that it's single-player. There are plans for multi eventually, but the core game is designed to be an accessible single-player experience, character driven, and inspired by the likes of Miyazaki, Firefly, and Baldur's Gate. Sure, anyone can name names, but they're naming the right ones.

It's interesting to note that the trailer above sounds like it's about to launch into a Kickstarter pledge, but then doesn't. In fact, when they say they need "your help", at this point at least they seem to mean in terms of people voicing interest in the project, and actually working for them. Of course, some crowd-funding may well still be to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=usTfx6eczIU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Puts me in mind of Homeworld with airships.  Which looks like a good thing to me. :)
Experience bij!