News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you like politics?

Started by Josquius, April 18, 2013, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like politics? (read the fucking post first)

Duh. Of course.
6 (20%)
A little
8 (26.7%)
Meh
4 (13.3%)
It is pretty bad
4 (13.3%)
Nope.
6 (20%)
Eh?
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Josquius

By politics here I mean the true politics part of politics.
Not the governing of the country stuff which most people find interesting, definitely not international relations (not its public side anyway), not quite even elections.
What I mean is all the bickering and manoeuvring and lying and all that sort of thing which generally goes on behind closed doors.

I've always been interested in politics in general but I'm coming to realise more and more that it is all about the office politics. To be a great politician isn't a good thing, it doesn't mean the person is smart and has good policies, it means they're merely good at conning people/convincing people to compromise/other less  celebrated features of great politicians.
Considering so many people hate offiice politics so much it seems somewhat strange then that so many profess an interest in national politics.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I find the art and science of spin slightly interesting.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2013, 07:07:48 PM

This here
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2013, 07:07:48 PM

I find it by turns fascinating and maddening.

I am not sure if that's "meh" or "eh?" I think I'll go with "eh?" for the hell of it.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Grown to dislike it. Enough to turn down chances to run for county offices.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

I'm not sure you can like or dislike it, as it's what the majority of politicans do, that is play politics. 

I don't understand people who say "I hate politicians/they're all corrupt/as bad as each other/I don't want anything to do with them"  as this seems to in effect give the battlefield over to the politicians without a fight. 
Many of them are more than happy for the majority of people to do that, as they can concentrate their efforts on an ever small number of party activists and crucial sections of the populous, in order to win office and power.

My own view is, if you don't like politicians and politics, then you have to do something about it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

It's something to fight over.  I take pleasure in the fight more then anything else.  I will, and have on this board, adopt positions I don't believe in just for fun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 18, 2013, 07:15:16 PM
My own view is, if you don't like politicians and politics, then you have to do something about it.

Violent revolution? :w00t: :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2013, 07:19:14 PM
It's something to fight over.  I take pleasure in the fight more then anything else.  I will, and have on this board, adopt positions I don't believe in just for fun.

We could have never guessed that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

I'm interested in the art of getting shit done. I'm also interested in the process of figuring out the best course of action, including determining realistic goals.

I'm less interested in factional and tribal competitions and the art of spin.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2013, 07:54:04 PM
I'm interested in the art of getting shit done. I'm also interested in the process of figuring out the best course of action, including determining realistic goals.

I'm less interested in factional and tribal competitions and the art of spin.

Well put.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Camerus

I find much of (domestic) politics too ephemeral to take much of an interest in.  I also don't care for the tedious factionalism it engenders.