Economic Argument for Austerity Based on Excel Error?

Started by Jacob, April 16, 2013, 06:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2013, 06:45:35 PM
I guess that means we're done.

Nah, I had to do that.  Languish tradition.  Seriously though, you are trying to find some inconsistency and I'm not seeing it.  The US has reduced deficit spending by not doing what the deficit hawks suggested and the countries that follow the hawks suggestions failed actually reduce deficit in addition to the pain of spending cuts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on June 02, 2013, 07:18:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2013, 07:11:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 02, 2013, 03:29:41 PM
So far that is the entirety of the responses you've made to my posts in this thread. I didn't say it was a pattern, I said all three of you are basically responding with standard bullshit personal attacks that you all know perfectly well are completely inaccurate. Which says a lot about the quality of your position, and a standard level of integrity for Raz, but a disappointing level for you.

I am not some kind of Paul Ryan/Tea Party dumbass, and you know it. I am, however, a fiscal conservative who is not buying into what YOU are selling. That doesn't put me in the radical right Grover Nordquist camp though.
The reason I responded in such a way is that your post wasn't just attacking a strawman;  it was a My Lai of strawmen.  There was no reasoning with that, so I didn't even bother.

Ahh, so the only possible way to respond to a post that doesn't agree with you is to make a personal attack and accuse me of being angry?

So in fact this is just you aping Raz, right?

Wait, what?  You keep insulting me and then complain about personal attacks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 05:04:03 PM
I would say the 10% of GDP at its worst point of 2009 was unacceptable.  Fortunately, we're not at that point anymore.   
And we're seeing government spending per capita at the slowest rates since Eisenhower, which should make all you let's-go-back-to-the-50s types nice and happy.
Yeah, but you aren't willing to pay the taxes to support that kind of spending.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2013, 07:24:38 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 02, 2013, 03:29:41 PM
So far that is the entirety of the responses you've made to my posts in this thread. I didn't say it was a pattern, I said all three of you are basically responding with standard bullshit personal attacks that you all know perfectly well are completely inaccurate. Which says a lot about the quality of your position, and a standard level of integrity for Raz, but a disappointing level for you.

I am not some kind of Paul Ryan/Tea Party dumbass, and you know it. I am, however, a fiscal conservative who is not buying into what YOU are selling. That doesn't put me in the radical right Grover Nordquist camp though.
The reason I responded in such a way is that your post wasn't just attacking a strawman;  it was a My Lai of strawmen.  There was no reasoning with that, so I didn't even bother.
Ahh, so the only possible way to respond to a post that doesn't agree with you is to make a personal attack and accuse me of being angry?

Wait, what?  You keep insulting me and then complain about personal attacks?
He's not insulting you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2013, 07:23:06 PM
Nah, I had to do that.  Languish tradition.  Seriously though, you are trying to find some inconsistency and I'm not seeing it.  The US has reduced deficit spending by not doing what the deficit hawks suggested and the countries that follow the hawks suggestions failed actually reduce deficit in addition to the pain of spending cuts.

Raz, I can't keep up with all this.  Do me a favor and state, as concisely as possible, what you're in favor of and what you're opposed to.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on June 02, 2013, 07:36:38 PM
I would say the 10% of GDP at its worst point of 2009 was unacceptable.  Fortunately, we're not at that point anymore.   
And we're seeing government spending per capita at the slowest rates since Eisenhower, which should make all you let's-go-back-to-the-50s types nice and happy.

Unlike many of my countrymen, I do not possess a psychotic aversion to the concept of taxes.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 07:39:11 PM

Unlike many of my countrymen, I do not possess a psychotic aversion to the concept of taxes.

I have no problem with taxes. My issues with debt in fact are pretty much simply that I don't think we should be spending what we are not willing to tax, mostly.

I would have no problem with an across the board adjustment of taxes upwards.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

You still haven't answered my question, so I'm going to have to ask Ideologue to treat you as a hostile witness with a 750-word review of Exorcist II: The Heretic.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 07:50:54 PM
You still haven't answered my question, so I'm going to have to ask Ideologue to treat you as a hostile witness with a 750-word review of Exorcist II: The Heretic.

What was the question?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 07:39:11 PM
So cut the feds a cheque then.  Do your part.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 07:50:54 PM

Cruel and unusual punishment.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

That's not what I said.  I didn't say that your post didn't agree with me, I just said that it was so riddled with strawmen that it did not indicate potential for a meaningful discussion.  It was just reeking of hysterics that we know so well and love in your posts.  :berkut: 

In any case, even if you managed to gather up your emotions and post a reasonable argument, I still wouldn't enter into an argument with you, simply because I have no interest in this subject.  It's been argued to death by now.  I just wouldn't post anything at all, instead of posting a drive-by mocking post that I did.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2013, 07:38:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2013, 07:23:06 PM

Raz, I can't keep up with all this.  Do me a favor and state, as concisely as possible, what you're in favor of and what you're opposed to.
'

I think we found our problem.  I was never talking about myself, and the topic was not about things I support i.e. austerity.