Economic Argument for Austerity Based on Excel Error?

Started by Jacob, April 16, 2013, 06:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2013, 06:46:43 PM

And the bigger point, the one that's relevant for the US, is that when your debt/GDP gets to a certain size you start to run out of wiggle room.

That size is not fixed. It depends on the circumstances, the country, the culture even. In addition, historically, defaulting is a decision. Rarely do the market conditions back anyone so completely into a corner that it happens on its own.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 06:41:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2013, 08:57:16 AM
The answer to our problem of spending way too much money is surely to spend a lot more.

What if our problem never was the government spending too much?

You have a good point.  If you start off like Berkut with the idea that all government spending is bad, then it seems that all the solutions to the world's problems are bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2013, 06:52:39 PM
That size is not fixed. It depends on the circumstances, the country, the culture even. In addition, historically, defaulting is a decision. Rarely do the market conditions back anyone so completely into a corner that it happens on its own.

The issue I'm addressing is not the decision to default, which as you point out is a decision, but rather the premiums lenders start to charge.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 06:49:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2013, 06:43:06 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 06:41:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2013, 08:57:16 AM
The answer to our problem of spending way too much money is surely to spend a lot more.

What if our problem never was spending too much?
But it was.  We made a society where everyone was rich, but we weren't able to pay for it.
Yet we obviously did, since all those McMansions didn't come from nowhere.

What if our problem was instead private sector retrenchment due to the collapse of an asset bubble caused in part by deregulation, on top of thirty years of growing wealth inequality and the middle class not sharing in productivity gains, leading to lack of aggregate demand?  Maybe then spending a lot more to increase aggregate demand and jumpstart the economy would help.  Then when that's done, raise taxes on rich people so that our borderline-regressive tax code ameliorates our class divisions and a new middle class can bloom. :)

Or we can do nothing, permit at least one generation to become completely lost, if not all subsequent generations as businesses readjust to a new normal of perpetually slack demand for goods and services.  Sounds like a good plan, Berkut! :berkut:
Taxing the rich won't help, because they don't have enough money.  Everyone's taxes must rise, even thought the rich must pay more than anyone else.  Still, you're part of the problem.  We live a world where a guy with no useful skills has a big TV and a collection of home movies.  Society has given the trappings of wealth to absolutely everyone, and yet government can no longer do its job.

I'm fine with a lost generation.  Every generation from now until the fall of the West is lost as far as I'm concerned.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2013, 06:42:18 PM
Of course he would, but he's not going to land that job.  He's going to end up like that black guy in Falling Down, getting hauled off by the cops for protesting a bank that said that he's 'not economically viable'.  Except it'll be the NYSE, and Seedy will be talking about shareholder value.  He's been unemployed long enough that in this Brave New World, he's unemployable.

I don't have a pressure cooker and book bag, but I do have a crock pot and a gym bag.

THE SHRAPNEL WAS DETERMINED TO BE USED KITTY LITTER   
MANY CLUMPING INJURIES AT THE SCENE

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2013, 06:42:18 PM
Of course he would, but he's not going to land that job.  He's going to end up like that black guy in Falling Down, getting hauled off by the cops for protesting a bank that said that he's 'not economically viable'.  Except it'll be the NYSE, and Seedy will be talking about shareholder value.  He's been unemployed long enough that in this Brave New World, he's unemployable.
I don't have a pressure cooker and book bag, but I do have a crock pot and a gym bag.

THE SHRAPNEL WAS DETERMINED TO BE USED KITTY LITTER   
MANY CLUMPING INJURIES AT THE SCENE
Wouldn't that just be a stinky fire rather than an explosion?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Definitely the last kind I bought.  That stuff couldn't clump to save me from throwing out the whole box' worth, let alone shrapnelize.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I use fresh step when I have to put Drut in the garage. I loathe the litter box.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Biological weapon. Used cat litter can contain some serious nerve toxins deadly to humans. Always keep the litter box as far away from the kitchen as possible.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Aphrodite the Goddess Cat can overwhelm any clumping litter known to man.  She will drink 4 gallons of water just to break down the Clump Factor 10 litter, then proudly watch me when I clean the cat box and swear under my breath at her.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Yeah, I don't even know what you mean by that, fahdiz, old top.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue