Ricin-laced letter sent to Senator Roger Wicker's office

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2013, 06:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2013, 08:25:00 AM
Some of what you're saying is based on TV-based knowledge though. In the real world the FBI doesn't show up at a crime scene and say, "we're taking over this crime scene!" When there is clear Federal jurisdiction local police rarely want to create extra work for themselves by working a case that should be Federal, and for cases where local and FBI work together it's generally the case that about the only utility the FBI will provide is their information assets.

Actually that's what I found odd about your statement that TV makes them seem cool. The FBI generally seems like jackasses who steal cases from our hero cops in tv dramas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2013, 08:27:57 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2013, 08:25:00 AM
Some of what you're saying is based on TV-based knowledge though. In the real world the FBI doesn't show up at a crime scene and say, "we're taking over this crime scene!" When there is clear Federal jurisdiction local police rarely want to create extra work for themselves by working a case that should be Federal, and for cases where local and FBI work together it's generally the case that about the only utility the FBI will provide is their information assets.

Actually that's what I found odd about your statement that TV makes them seem cool. The FBI generally seems like jackasses who steal cases from our hero cops in tv dramas.

Well it depends on the show garbon. Shows where local PD are the focus (NYPD Blue, L&O, CSI) the FBI gets blasted. Where the FBI are the stars, they're made to look like rock stars (Bones, Criminal Minds, Without a Trace etc.) I'm not saying the jackass stereotype isn't there, just that there's also a lot of movies and TV shows that make the FBI out to be rockstar hardcore po-lice who are halfway to solving a crime with no witnesses based on a five minute sniff of the crime scene.

CountDeMoney

I think the closest example about the difference between the FBI and traditional law enforcement agencies is like the difference between medical researchers and practicing physicians.

Medical researchers--the high end ones--have all the academic pedigrees imaginable in medicine;  the medical school training, the specialized PhDs, hands-on experience with all the nifty, most expensive tools imaginable to play with, a complete wealth of book knowledge on the subject, and they have the exact same acronyms on their name badges...but they wouldn't know the first thing about what to do in an inner-city emergency room on a Saturday night in late August.

Scipio

Wicker is your basic, boring, useless GOP senator.  He's also quite dumb, unlike Sen. Cochran.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

Now there are letters at the White House and one congressman's office too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 08:47:59 AM
I think the closest example about the difference between the FBI and traditional law enforcement agencies is like the difference between medical researchers and practicing physicians.

Medical researchers--the high end ones--have all the academic pedigrees imaginable in medicine;  the medical school training, the specialized PhDs, hands-on experience with all the nifty, most expensive tools imaginable to play with, a complete wealth of book knowledge on the subject, and they have the exact same acronyms on their name badges...but they wouldn't know the first thing about what to do in an inner-city emergency room on a Saturday night in late August.

Which is why I appreciate that our national policing agency also does front-line policing.

So anyone who is doing that kind of high-end investigative work that the FBI does got their start dealing with drunks on Saturday night.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2013, 07:44:17 AM
Maybe CdM is resentful of people who make more money then he does.

I don't know what CdM made as a Baltimore cop, or what FBI agents make, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some local cops don't make as much as a newly-minted FBI agent. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on April 17, 2013, 04:27:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2013, 07:44:17 AM
Maybe CdM is resentful of people who make more money then he does.

I don't know what CdM made as a Baltimore cop, or what FBI agents make, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some local cops don't make as much as a newly-minted FBI agent.

I suspect that Federal agents get payed more then municipal employees in Baltimore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

FYI

Newly assigned Special Agents are paid as GS-10, step 1 ($43,441) plus locality pay and availability pay. Locality pay (which ranges from 12.5% to 28.7% of base salary depending upon office assignment) is additional compensation to account for differences in the labor market between different areas. Availability pay is a 25% increase in adjusted salary (base salary + locality pay) for all Special Agents due to their requirement to average a 50-hour work week over the course of the year. Thus, with the locality and availability pay adjustments, new Special Agents in their first Field Offices earn between $61,100 and $69,900, depending upon the region of the country to which they are assigned.

New Special Agents assigned to certain designated high-cost offices (New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Washington D.C., Boston and Newark) may also be paid a one-time relocation bonus of approximately $22,000 to help offset higher real estate and living costs. In order to qualify for the relocation bonus, new Special Agents must be assigned to one of the designated high-cost offices and they must be moving from a lower cost area to a different geographical area with a higher cost of living.

Seattle PD
Recruit Salary:
Recruits entering the Police Academy begin earning benefits
within 30 days of hire.

Recruits earn $25.98 hr while attending the Academy.

Sworn Police Salary Scale:

STEP 1
(Sworn Officer)
   $30.80    $5,359.20    $64,310.40

STEP 2
(6 Months)
   $33.02    $5,745.48    $68,945.76

STEP 3
(18 Months)
   $34.52    $6,006.48    $72,077.76

STEP 4
(30 Months)
   $35.86    $6,239.64    $74,875.68

STEP 5
(42 Months)
   $37.64    $6,549.36    $78,592.32

STEP 6
(54 Months)
   $40.33    $7,017.42    $84,209.04

Lateral Police Salary Scale:

Pay for Lateral Officers range between STEP 3 and 5,
depending on experience. Overtime and compensatory time
is paid at time and 1/2, with a 3-hour minimum for court
and off-duty call outs.

STEP 3
(24-41 Mos Experience)
   $34.52    $6,006.48    $72,077.76

STEP 4
(42-53 Mos Experience)
   $35.86    $6,239.64    $74,875.68

STEP 5
(54+ Mos Experience)
   $37.64    $6,549.36    $78,592.32

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

That's great, but we aren't talking about Seattle.  C'mon, you need to get with the program here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2013, 10:10:41 PM
That's great, but we aren't talking about Seattle.  C'mon, you need to get with the program here.

No, it's for comparison only, with the FBI
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

QuoteBaltimore police officer trainees earn $41,290 per year. Upon completion of the police academy, their salary goes up to $42,290 per year (before overtime). Applicants who have a four-year college degree can apply to the Educational Incentive Program, which results in a higher salary. Raises are also based on years of service.

A variety of specialties are available for motivated officers. After three years of basic service, officers are eligible to apply for promotions and become supervisors. Baltimore police officers enjoy working in a challenging but rewarding environment, and have many opportunities to grow in their career.

CountDeMoney

:lol:  I think I started at $27K in 1993.

And when the FOP tried to get us raises, the City offered two more paid holidays instead.  Let's hear it for Flag Day. :bleeding:

Razgovory

There's a pretty big gap between 61,000 and 41,000.