News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PRC White Paper Reveals Armed Forces Structure

Started by Jacob, April 16, 2013, 10:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Yeah, cover it up with the BBC article, Xiacob.  We all know you're on the mailing lists for both the CPC and PLA.

But anyway, didn't read the whole thing.  Have they figured out how to make a tank better than the T-62?  They're making some advances with their small arms, but the heavier stuff is seriously lagging.  Not that I'm complaining.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

The thing I found odd is that, according to the BBC, the army has 850,000 officers... that sounds like they have an almost 1:1 ratio of officers and enlisted ranks. Which is kind of weird.

Or is that how it is in modern militaries?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2013, 11:19:51 AM
The thing I found odd is that, according to the BBC, the army has 850,000 officers... that sounds like they have an almost 1:1 ratio of officers and enlisted ranks. Which is kind of weird.

:lol:  Looks like they just corrected it.

FWIW though, I don't know about the PLA so much but the Soviet and other ComBloc armed forces tended to be officer-heavy.  Something like 8:1 (enlisted to officer) which is way more than Western militaries.  The commie militaries used officers for highly-skilled technical positions, whereas their Western counterparts would be NCOs. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2013, 11:15:39 AM
Have they figured out how to make a tank better than the T-62?  They're making some advances with their small arms, but the heavier stuff is seriously lagging.  Not that I'm complaining.

Shit, they still had gas masks for their 3rd echelon horse cavalry reserves in the western provinces as late as 1992.  I doubt their tanks and arty have made such similar leaps and bounds. 

11B4V

It's called no effective NCO corps.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on April 16, 2013, 11:42:16 AM

It's called no effective NCO corps.

A question: aside from historical development, does having a seperate stream of NCO positions as opposed to officer positions make sense?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2013, 11:26:56 AM
FWIW though, I don't know about the PLA so much but the Soviet and other ComBloc armed forces tended to be officer-heavy.  Something like 8:1 (enlisted to officer) which is way more than Western militaries.

:secret: The US armed forces have a 4.9:1 (enlisted to officer ratio)...

http://www.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2011_Demographics_Report.pdf

Obviously old data, but this link claims a 2:1 (enlisted to officer ratio).

QuoteAs of 2007, the PLA has 2.3 million personnel divided roughly into thirds (765,000) for officers, NCOs, and conscripts.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/plan-personel-enlistedforces.htm

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 16, 2013, 12:20:57 PM
A question: aside from historical development, does having a seperate stream of NCO positions as opposed to officer positions make sense?

Absolutely.  But could you elaborate on what you're getting at?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: ulmont on April 16, 2013, 12:35:51 PM
:secret: The US armed forces have a 4.9:1 (enlisted to officer ratio)...

http://www.militaryonesource.mil/12038/MOS/Reports/2011_Demographics_Report.pdf

I'll have to go back & check my source, but I was thinking specifically in terms of Cold War-era line units.  We had something like 13:1 and Warsaw Pact armies had 8:1.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2013, 12:41:18 PM
I'll have to go back & check my source, but I was thinking specifically in terms of Cold War-era line units.  We had something like 13:1 and Warsaw Pact armies had 8:1.

There may be a lot of work done in the phrase "line units" there.  According to this source, which I haven't tried to verify in any way, the Vietnam/Cold-War US armed forces were 7:1.
http://fabiusmaximus.com/2012/09/10/american-military-force-changed-43153/

4.9:1 still beats 2:1, though.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points