News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Those wacky Chinese volume 625

Started by Josquius, May 23, 2009, 09:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25526205-5003402,00.html

QuoteA MAN in southern China has been taken into police custody after pushing a would-be-suicide jumper off a bridge frequented by people threatening to end their lives
Lai Jiansheng was detained by police for pushing a man named Chen off the bridge in Guangzhou city that has been the site of 12 suicide attempts since the beginning of April, the China Daily said.

None of the suicide attempts have been successful, the paper said, but traffic over the bridge has been jammed for hours during each attempt as police sought to talk the people out of ending their lives.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their actions violate a lot of public interests," the paper quoted Mr Lai as saying.

Mr Lai, upset with the traffic delay, broke through the police cordon on the bridge, walked up to Chen and shook his hand before pushing him off the bridge, it said.

Chen was threatening to commit suicide because of a two million yuan ($374,000) debt he incurred over a failed construction project, it said.

The would-be jumper fell eight metres into a partially-inflated emergency cushion and came away from the incident with his life intact but his back injured, it said.

Police said that with each suicide attempt, the city had to send police, firemen, rescue vessels and an ambulance.

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

China needs more bridges.  For obvious reasons.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2009, 09:45:42 AM
"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their actions violate a lot of public interests," the paper quoted Mr Lai as saying.

It's nice to see someone stand up and enforce the Social Contract.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2009, 10:59:43 AM
Sounds like Mono. :D
I'd have said hsi wife.  It is a very Chinese response.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 23, 2009, 11:45:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2009, 10:59:43 AM
Sounds like Mono. :D
I'd have said hsi wife.  It is a very Chinese response.

Either or, doesn't matter.  All those slanty-eyed robotrons think and act the same.

Siege

I have never understood why, if somebody is going to commit suicide, not to go with a bang and take as many muslims as possible.

Its a waste to go empty-handed.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on May 23, 2009, 11:46:24 PM
I have never understood why, if somebody is going to commit suicide, not to go with a bang and take as many muslims as possible.

Its a waste to go empty-handed.
:lol:

Jesus Christ.  So you are saying that the best way to commit suicide would be by blowing yourself up amongst a lot of Muslims?

What the fuck is the difference between you and a member of Hamas, Siege? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on May 23, 2009, 11:59:20 PM
What the fuck is the difference between you and a member of Hamas, Siege?

The Muslims hate everyone else; Siege only hates the Muslims.

Siege is our useful robot.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

At least he introduced himself first :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Norgy

Quotea bridge frequented by people threatening to end their lives

A sad way to honour fine engineering.