News is bad for you – and giving up reading it will make you happier

Started by Syt, April 15, 2013, 02:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on April 15, 2013, 01:15:05 PM
:yes:

Hence my current affairs knowledge is based on what Tim thinks fit to post.

I'm not sure that's a good exchange, information about the dramatically changing world economy replaced by 'what if dinosaurs returned to earth in a fleet of killer star destroyers'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I have often mused that 24 hour news at least should be illegal. That they should be restricted to updating their programme only at certain times of the day. The way they jump on every small lead and fragment of information in ongoing events and directly influence the events by doing so is just wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on April 15, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

I'm not sure that's a good exchange, information about the dramatically changing world economy replaced by 'what if dinosaurs returned to earth in a fleet of killer star destroyers'.

They are much the same thing in the 24/7 news circus, except we get to have laughs poking fun at Tim so, in reality, he is actually superior to most news media  :cool:

Syt

While I don't think 24/7 newscasting should be banned, I do kinda miss the days when your news sources were
- hourly short news on the radio
- morning paper
- main news program at night
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2013, 02:36:53 AM
While I don't think 24/7 newscasting should be banned, I do kinda miss the days when your news sources were
- hourly short news on the radio
- morning paper
- main news program at night

They're still there. I browse the headlines in the morning, watch the news at night and read the Saturday paper cover to cover.
24/7 news shouldn't be banned, people should just develop a little restraint.

Legbiter

A feature, not a bug and about as actionable and relevant to my life, either way. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2013, 01:38:16 AM

They are much the same thing in the 24/7 news circus, except we get to have laughs poking fun at Tim so, in reality, he is actually superior to most news media  :cool:

Hey, you don't thing I laugh at some of the 24/7 coverage; the beeb 24 news coverage of the bombing yesterday was pretty hopeless, some very weak broadcast journalism going on.  :cool:

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on April 16, 2013, 11:31:05 AM

Hey, you don't thing I laugh at some of the 24/7 coverage; the beeb 24 news coverage of the bombing yesterday was pretty hopeless, some very weak broadcast journalism going on.  :cool:

Most laughable was their fascination with the response on 9/11 from W and Obama's speech. TWO DIFFERENT SITUATIONS, YOU STUPID LIMEY FUCKS.

Idiot BBC.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 16, 2013, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 16, 2013, 11:31:05 AM

Most laughable was their fascination with the response on 9/11 from W and Obama's speech. TWO DIFFERENT SITUATIONS, YOU STUPID LIMEY FUCKS.

Idiot BBC.

Yeah, I'm glad I missed that bit; I gave up after 1/2 hour, it was so pathetic.  :(