The Terrifying Reality of Long-Term Unemployment

Started by Syt, April 14, 2013, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Strix on April 14, 2013, 02:17:56 PM
I just look it at from my perspective at work...

I have guys come out of prison and find decent jobs with in a week or so of being released, while I have other guys come out and not find jobs for an extended period of time. The main difference has been work ethic a relative with a business.

Fixed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

You should definitely never put on your resume "poor work ethic."  I went through 200 USAJobs applications before I corrected that mistake!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I imagine "violently insane", is right out then?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

This thread makes me want to become "proactive".
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on April 16, 2013, 01:15:42 AM

Frankie says relax.

Easier said than done, believe me I know.  I don't think I've relaxed since early 2002.
Kinemalogue

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 01:22:11 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 16, 2013, 01:15:42 AM

Frankie says relax.

Easier said than done, believe me I know.  I don't think I've relaxed since early 2002.

Frankie can suck my -- oh. wait.

Ideologue

Lol.  I can't believe that song gets radio play.

HIT ME WITH YOUR LASER BEAMS.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 01:23:46 AM

What, "WHEN YOU WANNA COME" doesn't mean you're coming over for tea and crumpets?

Ideologue

Actually Raz, just put "Institution X, 2004-2008."  Lots of people in hiring positions can't actually read, because they got their jobs when a HSD and a good handshake was all it took, and there's a possibility they'll just think you worked there. :P

You guys did remind me that I need to start putting my volunteer stuff on my resume.  Because 50+ hour weeks and mornings at an animal shelter means work ethic, and per Strix' wisdom, work ethic is all it takes, even if you have a felony record and Latin Kings tattoos.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on April 16, 2013, 01:26:44 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 01:23:46 AM

What, "WHEN YOU WANNA COME" doesn't mean you're coming over for tea and crumpets?

I've always also felt that Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" was a weird song to be a hit.  It's the only credited rock anthem about fucking a T-girl, at least of which I am aware.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2013, 01:32:18 AM
Actually Raz, just put "Institution X, 2004-2008."  Lots of people in hiring positions can't actually read, because they got their jobs when a HSD and a good handshake was all it took, and there's a possibility they'll just think you worked there. :P

You guys did remind me that I need to start putting my volunteer stuff on my resume.  Because 50+ hour weeks and mornings at an animal shelter means work ethic, and per Strix' wisdom, work ethic is all it takes, even if you have a felony record and Latin Kings tattoos.

If they ask any more questions I'll just tell them that a criminal attorney said to put on there.  They'll probably think I meant the other kind of criminal attorney.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue