The Terrifying Reality of Long-Term Unemployment

Started by Syt, April 14, 2013, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I've never had a problem finding jobs. If you have a solid attractive education and you are bright and likeable what's the problem?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

I just look it at from my perspective at work...

I have guys come out of prison and find decent jobs with in a week or so of being released, while I have other guys come out and not find jobs for an extended period of time. The main difference has been work ethic.

If a person is willing to work hard, show up on time, and be reliable, than they are more likely to get/retain a job which will ultimately lead to better paying jobs and/or positions. If a person feels the job is beneath them, want to be hired on their terms, and is unwilling to do what is required, than they are likely to be not hired/let go quickly.

There are always jobs out there but some people lack the work ethic and humility to take what is available and WORK their way to a better situation.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2013, 02:04:12 PM
Actually, Strix' post is 100% an illustration of what I mean.  No job = fucking bum.

No, Strix' post is a 100% illustration of what kind of mouthbreathing Steelertard he is.  Yins.

garbon

Quote from: Strix on April 14, 2013, 02:17:56 PM
There are always jobs out there but some people lack the work ethic and humility to take what is available and WORK their way to a better situation.

Disagree, I think let's say if one spends several years working a McJob that's not going to be a leg up to finding a good position.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

I think we should make money spent on servants tax deductible. It used to be a single rich person, in addition to whatever their productive trade was which might employ persons, would employ a staff. In part we've done away with personal staffs because of technology making them less useful, but if salaries spent on personal staff were 100% tax deductible I think a lot of the wealthy would employ more people directly.

Many wealthy people do not need a live in butler or personal chef, but when you can get that and it's the equivalent of making a charitable contribution tax-wise I think many more would opt for it than do currently.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 14, 2013, 02:30:38 PM
I think we should make money spent on servants tax deductible. It used to be a single rich person, in addition to whatever their productive trade was which might employ persons, would employ a staff. In part we've done away with personal staffs because of technology making them less useful, but if salaries spent on personal staff were 100% tax deductible I think a lot of the wealthy would employ more people directly.

Many wealthy people do not need a live in butler or personal chef, but when you can get that and it's the equivalent of making a charitable contribution tax-wise I think many more would opt for it than do currently.

The *imo* big part you forget is that it became less attractive for people to seek live-in positions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Well I think if structural unemployment as Ide suggests is such an intractable problem, attitudes would shift once more.

Poor people should not think they're too good to be someone's servant. Most servants historically made good wages and were provided nice living quarters in comparison to others from the lower classes. Not quite say, the American middle class but not the American poor either.

Strix

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2013, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: Strix on April 14, 2013, 02:17:56 PM

Disagree, I think let's say if one spends several years working a McJob that's not going to be a leg up to finding a good position.

If you spend SEVERAL years working a McJob than you have reached your potential. If you spend 6-12 months at a McJob, you can show a future employer a track record of good attendance, hard work, and a willingness to be part of a team. All attractive things to someone looking to hire.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2013, 02:20:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2013, 02:04:12 PM
Actually, Strix' post is 100% an illustration of what I mean.  No job = fucking bum.

No, Strix' post is a 100% illustration of what kind of mouthbreathing Steelertard he is.  Yins.

Don't hate me because it will be a decade before the Ravens are relevant again.

CountDeMoney

Strix

CountDeMoney

Imagine that.  The Admin features work.  And look: colors!

Valmy

Wait so the reason we have high unemployment in every single first world country is because everybody is too proud to work?  Surprising to see such a crippling moral failure in so many different cultures simultaneously.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

The question is what leads to what. Being unemployed for over 6 months meaning you're less likely to get a job could mean that theres a lot of unemployable saps out there and the length of time they've been unemployed means nothing.
Could even be both, that due to these people being around if you've been unemployed a while you get lumped in with them.
██████
██████
██████