Meghan McCain: Gay marriage true to Republican values

Started by Martinus, May 23, 2009, 05:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteMay 22, 2009

Meghan McCain to GOP: Let Gays Marry
Click the byline to view more stories by this author.
By Michelle Garcia

The time has come to grant gay and lesbian couples the right to marry, GOP-er Meghan McCain wrote in an open letter to Republicans lawmakers in New York.

McCain, daughter of former presidential candidate John McCain, has taken on the task of pushing fellow Republicans -- and some New York Democrats -- to stop voting and lobbying against marriage equality.

"For me," she wrote in the New York Daily News , "this is about treating all of my friends, and all of our brothers, sisters, children and grandchildren the same as I want to be treated. Equality under the law and personal freedoms are what make America the greatest country in the world, and they are core values that I hold as a Republican."

McCain recently spoke at a Log Cabin Republican dinner, calling the denial of marriage rights "un-Republican ... at its fundamental core, it's un-American."

The New York assembly passed marriage equality legislation earlier this month by a vote of 89-52, but it remains unclear whether a vote will occur in the narrowly divided senate before the end of the session in June.

:thumbsup:

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid85650.asp

Syt

Saw her on Colbert Report the other day. She struck me as a chattering airhead, really.

Good going with the letter, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Whether she's right or not, gays are an enemy of America.  Let 'em rot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I'm all for lesbian rights applied to young Ms. McCain.
Preferably with a strap-on, and lots of begging.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2009, 06:59:35 AM
I'm all for lesbian rights applied to young Ms. McCain.
Preferably with a strap-on, and lots of begging.

Moths?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Good on her.
The right really should take as its angle that its preferable the gays settle down and marry and be nice happy family folk rather than living in TOTAL sin.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2009, 09:26:35 AM
Good on her.
The right really should take as its angle that its preferable the gays settle down and marry and be nice happy family folk rather than living in TOTAL sin.
Why?  Gays are terrible people.  Or at least Martinus is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on May 23, 2009, 12:21:07 PM

Come now, he's not that bad, merely high strung, shallow and impressionable like a schoolgirl.  I can understand this might be grating but not enough to be on his case all the time.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

Good on her.
Sending them to the camps though is not an option.
God gives you lemons you either eat lemons or make them into somewhat more tolerable lemonade.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2009, 12:40:09 PM
Good on her.
Sending them to the camps though is not an option.
God gives you lemons you either eat lemons or make them into somewhat more tolerable lemonade.
Having gays eaten...  I'm not particularily fond of the idea of eating people.

On the other hand, if 'make them into somewhat more tolerable lemonade', you mean 'sift through the ruins of them in order to extract bits and pieces that can be of use to us', I suppose I could support that.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on May 23, 2009, 12:39:07 PM

Come now, he's not that bad, merely high strung, shallow and impressionable like a schoolgirl.  I can understand this might be grating but not enough to be on his case all the time.
Quite frankly, I'm surprised you're not on his case more.  After all, it's your people that he's bringing into disrepute.

garbon

Grallon doesn't think of himself as gay. He doesn't feel as though he belongs to that...lifestyle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 01:08:48 PM
... He doesn't feel as though he belongs to that...lifestyle.

Does one have a lifestyle if one no longer practice said lifestyle ?  What's grating with Martinus isn't his appetites for cocks - wich, strangely enough, he doesn't experience - it's the aforementioned dramaqueenishness.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

I guess so. Although I must say that I find it peculiar that Mr. "Oh I'm not gay any more as none of the young boys will go for me because I'm 'old' and 'hideous' and besides I've found that I was liking the anticipation more than the actual act" would call someone out on dramaqueenishness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 03:56:54 PM
I guess so. Although I must say that I find it peculiar that Mr. "Oh I'm not gay any more as none of the young boys will go for me because I'm 'old' and 'hideous' and besides I've found that I was liking the anticipation more than the actual act" would call someone out on dramaqueenishness.

:lol: