Trouble in Paris: A Crisis of Democracy Rocks the Fifth Republic

Started by Syt, April 11, 2013, 01:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Maybe because you have the wrong expectation for rightwingers?  It walks like a duck, it talk like a duck and hangs out with other ducks. For some reason you seem to expect ducks to oink, wallow in mud, and hang out with pigs.  So when when you see a duck you can't get it to grasp why it's quacking and waddling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2013, 06:35:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2013, 04:12:52 AM
I don't understand the relevance.

Fahdiz is Raz's new chew toy. spicy got wore out.

JR said Fahdiz was cause of the 2008 economic collapse and I take his word on economic thingies.  Admittedly, I asked him to say it, but I think it should still count.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
German paper Die Zeit has an op ed that basically calls for a new revolution in France. The whole government caught up in corruption scandals and subsequent cover ups, the mainstream parties tearing themselves up between internal fights, corruption and election fraud. Economy quickly going downhill, unemployment rising. And no change in sight.

:lol:
I wonder what they think we should do in Spain then.

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on April 12, 2013, 06:56:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
German paper Die Zeit has an op ed that basically calls for a new revolution in France. The whole government caught up in corruption scandals and subsequent cover ups, the mainstream parties tearing themselves up between internal fights, corruption and election fraud. Economy quickly going downhill, unemployment rising. And no change in sight.

:lol:
I wonder what they think we should do in Spain then.

From a German perspective, Spain is probably in a permanent state of revolution/anarchy. :D

Martinus

Speaking of Germans, apparently some German TV dared to produce and broadcast a movie about WW2, in which Polish freedom fighters are depicted as - shock horror - antisemites, causing a furore in Poland (one right wing weekly published a cover with Angela Merkel in an Auchwitz prisoner outfit, titled "Germans falsifying history").

Now, the Polish embassy in the US is trying to intervene in order to prevent the broadcasting of this movie in American cinemas and tv channels, in what seems like the biggest "Poland cannot into modern world" failure since they tried to stop German newspapers from printing an article about the Potato President. And to think the Polish minister of foreign affairs studied at Oxford and worked as a correspondent for The Economist. :frusty:

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2013, 07:26:05 PM
Time for a VI Republic :mmm:

Or Melenchon leading a Commune :mmm: :wub:

I'm amazed to see Germans agitating for a French Revolution :blink:

Yeah...no :( a Sixth Republic (or a Commune :frog:) would require a new ideology the people can rally behind and/or a charismatic leader people trust.  France is just engaged in the political malaise we all seem to be struggling with these days.

QuoteWho to replace them with? 77% of French people, according to a poll, think that all politicians are corrupt.

Heh only 77%?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2013, 08:34:02 AM
QuoteWho to replace them with? 77% of French people, according to a poll, think that all politicians are corrupt.

Heh only 77%?

Presumably the rest are the ones who don't care enough to vote so don't see the need to have an opinion either way...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

French for 'magic wand' is 'baguette magique'. This has made my day.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2013, 04:05:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2013, 03:59:40 AM
hey you don't have to convince ME

That seems like a personal problem.  Fahdiz's party is a member of an international conservative group of political parties called International Democrat Union which includes the Republican party of the US and Conservative party of Britain.  Birds of a feather...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Democrat_Union

My party?
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on April 12, 2013, 11:13:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2013, 04:05:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2013, 03:59:40 AM
hey you don't have to convince ME

That seems like a personal problem.  Fahdiz's party is a member of an international conservative group of political parties called International Democrat Union which includes the Republican party of the US and Conservative party of Britain.  Birds of a feather...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Democrat_Union

My party?

You can cry if you want to. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Raz: get back on your meds.  Cards are back on at 8:15 (7:15 Central) tonight and we need your positive energy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

That Barbarian! How dare he have a Swiss bank account, while the commoners have to pay taxes!!   ;)

Jacob

I read a Danish paper saying that a former editor of Le Monde - Edwy Plenel - is one of the driving forces behind these revelations, as they are coming from an investigative group called Mediaparts which he founded.

One thing I thought amusing as well is that, according to the article, Marine Le Pen of the FN was all indignant about the Swiss account and trying to cash in on the scandal politically. Then it was revealed that the lawyer who facilitated Cahuzac setting up the account is a good friend and political supporter of Marine, oh, and she has a Swiss bank account too which has put her on the defensive.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2013, 06:46:25 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2013, 06:35:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2013, 04:12:52 AM
I don't understand the relevance.

Fahdiz is Raz's new chew toy. spicy got wore out.

JR said Fahdiz was cause of the 2008 economic collapse and I take his word on economic thingies.  Admittedly, I asked him to say it, but I think it should still count.

What are you talking about?
and the horse you rode in on