News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elizabeth Warren vs. Bank regulators

Started by merithyn, April 12, 2013, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2013, 04:58:44 PM
Apparently prosecuting the destruction of criminal evidence is governmental overreach.

Holy fucking shit you guys are ready to pounce, aren't you?

No, I'm not ascribing Arthur Andersen "victim' status, to answer fahdiz. Yes, they committed crimes, were prosecuted and duly punished. I wasn't saying the government did bad in regard to AA, I'm just saying that by its nature the prosecution destroyed AA and once higher up politicians realized that everyone loses their job in scenarios like that they became much less willing to see it happen again. Technically the the Supreme Court did overturn Arthur Andersen's conviction, so just saying. It shows that even Arthur Andersen, legally, wasn't that easy to get convicted since the conviction was overturned on appeal. (By then they had already surrendered their license to operate as an accounting firm and 100% of their business had gone elsewhere, so they were no longer a going concern--and even without a conviction just the dirt that came out would have guaranteed a loss of almost all customers so it's a moot point.)

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 12, 2013, 05:58:44 PM
Holy fucking shit you guys are ready to pounce, aren't you?

It is a very sore spot for Seedy as you pointed out in your earlier post. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

We already know which team Otto roots for.  :ph34r:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The "crime" banks were guilty of was losing money.

Elizabeth Warren is a tool.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on April 12, 2013, 03:36:50 PM
I'm really beginning to like her. :)

http://americablog.com/2013/04/elizabeth-warren-hearing-illegal-foreclosures-video.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zD7zM9K0X4c

What really irks me about this stuff is the Obama administration has rather clearly set the tone that will be taken with the banks. The big banks won't be broken up. There won't be criminal prosecution. There won't be any new and really onerous regulation. Etc. Elizabeth Warren wants to keep cred as a reformer, but also wants to avoid hammering a democratic administration, so she unloads on another random bureaucrat. It is grandstanding with a hint of bullying in my view.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014