News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your favourite flawed end-of-cold-war hero?

Started by Martinus, April 11, 2013, 09:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today, which of the flawed end-of-cold-war heroes you like/respect/admire the most?

Reagan
9 (20.9%)
Thatcher
8 (18.6%)
John Paul II
7 (16.3%)
Kohl
1 (2.3%)
Mitterand
3 (7%)
Walesa
1 (2.3%)
Gorbachev
14 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 10:07:06 AM
I did. He stands above all others, being a wonderful human being.

A Vichyite?  :yuk:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Gorbi!  Gorbi!  Gorbi!

It was awesome when Rocky beat Ivan Drago and Gorby stood up and clapped for Rocky even though he represented Amerika. :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2013, 11:17:42 AM
Gorbi!  Gorbi!  Gorbi!

It was awesome when Rocky beat Ivan Drago and Gorby stood up and clapped for Rocky even though he represented Amerika. :cry:
:D

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2013, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 10:07:06 AM
I did. He stands above all others, being a wonderful human being.

A Vichyite?  :yuk:

I :wub: 'ed a bit for DeGaulle when I heard his dismissal of Mitterand. "You again?"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 11:22:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2013, 11:17:42 AM
Gorbi!  Gorbi!  Gorbi!

:D
IF I CAN CHANGE
AND YOUSE CAN CHANGE
DEN EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!

Cold War: over. :showoff:

fhdz

John Paul II. Spoke 90 quadrillion languages, an extrordinarily deep thinker, possessed boundless energy and was an exceptional athlete to boot. I always got the sense that his opposition to Communism was less about Communism being anti-Christian and more about it being inhumane.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

I didn't vote for JPII because I can't really see how he is "flawed" so I didn't see him as an appropriate choice for the poll. :sleep:

I voted for Gorby, because a) he is cool, and b) he's flawed what with that giant birthmark on his head. :smarty:

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2013, 11:30:39 AM
I didn't vote for JPII because I can't really see how he is "flawed" so I didn't see him as an appropriate choice for the poll. :sleep:

I voted for Gorby, because a) he is cool, and b) he's flawed what with that giant birthmark on his head. :smarty:

For Marti, "flawed" means "was not a champion of gay rights".
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 11:31:54 AM

But if JPII had been a champion of gay rights, he would have been a flawed Pope..... but since he wasn't, he therefore wasn't flawed. :sleep:

Strix

So, who is on the list of unflawed Cold War heroes?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 11:31:54 AM

No, it means "feted serial child molesters and protected them from criminal prosecution". Also, "gagged theologians" and "spearheaded a mis-information campaign on condom use in Africa, which indirectly led to death of millions."

Viking

Quote from: Strix on April 11, 2013, 11:45:34 AM
So, who is on the list of unflawed Cold War heroes?

Havel, Sakharov, Zhao Ziyang?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.