Started by Kleves, April 11, 2013, 02:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I'm a skin half white kind of guy. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2013, 03:11:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2013, 03:08:36 PM
Obama has been a rather huge disappointment.
I told you people once before: starting in the 80s every major city had to elect a token black dude to prove it wasn't racist... nearly all of these mayors were horrible (Dinkins, Goode, Barry, Kilpatrick....) Maybe Obama is America's token black mayor. :)

Dinkins wasn't horrible.  Anyway, I thought the UK demonstrated that deep cuts don't actually decrease deficit spending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

From Jan Hatzius, chief economist at Goldman Sachs:

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2013/04/the-rapidly-shrinking-federal-deficit.html

QuoteThe federal budget deficit is shrinking rapidly . . .  In the first three months of calendar 2013--that is, since the increase in payroll and income tax rates took effect on January 1--we estimate that the deficit has averaged just 4.5% of GDP on a seasonally adjusted basis. This is less than half the peak annual deficit of 10.1% of GDP in fiscal 2009.

There are three main reasons for the sharp reduction in the deficit:

1. Lower spending. On a 12-month average basis, federal outlays have fallen by a total of 4% in the past two years, the first decline in nominal dollar terms over a comparable period since the demobilization from the Korean War in the mid-1950s.

2. Higher tax rates. The increase in payroll tax rates in January 2013 has boosted federal receipts by around $120 billion (annualized), or about 0.8% of GDP.

3. Economic improvement . . ..

We expect the deficit to continue to decline and are forecasting a deficit of 3% of GDP or less in fiscal 2015 . . . In our view, the most important implication from the reduction in the budget deficit for the near-term economic outlook is reduced pressure for further fiscal retrenchment. Partly for this reason, we expect the drag from fiscal policy on real GDP growth to decline sharply from around 2% of GDP in 2013 to around 0.5% in coming years. This is a key reason for our expectation that real GDP growth will accelerate from around 2% (annualized) in Q2/Q3 2013 to 3%-3.5% in 2014-2016.

The case for extreme fiscal retenchment in the US is not evident to me.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Shouldn't 2009 be excluded from being used as any kind of benchmark? I mean that year was a big anomaly.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 11, 2013, 05:39:20 PM
The case for extreme fiscal retenchment in the US is not evident to me.

Agreed, the situation is much better than I thought.  I missed a couple points of deficit reduction somewhere since Teh Fiskal Kliff talks.  Then it looked like we were reducing from 8% of GDP to 7%.  All of a sudden we're at 4.5% seasonally adjusted (The Economist said 5.5%--I assume unadjusted).

So now we're no longer hurtling towards Italy status.  Instead we're France.

That being said, I believe that still leaves unresolved the *future* deficits that will be caused by Baby Boomer retirements.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2013, 05:55:48 PM
So now we're no longer hurtling towards Italy status.  Instead we're France.

That being said, I believe that still leaves unresolved the *future* deficits that will be caused by Baby Boomer retirements.

We are france with the world's preeminent reserve currency in our control, which is an advantage.

And while I realize the WH budgets present plans for 10 years out, it's hard to take those seriously, especially when there are only 3 years left in the term.  The part of the budget proposal that actually matters is the proposal for the coming fiscal year.  And without examining any specifics, the aggregate looks reasonable to me.

I suppose there might have been confusion about Obama's messianic pretensions back in 09, but anyone who might have thought that had plenty of time to be disabused.  We still re-elected him.  I don't think it is fair to attack him now for failure to live up to the messianic promise: either by resolving all problems through divine miracles or by happily climbing up on a political cross and handing his opponents the nails.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2013, 04:58:37 PM
Dinkins wasn't horrible.
:yeahright: He paved the way for Giuliani.  That by itself is unforgivable.

Sheilbh

I don't get the critique here. Surely by its nature mandatory spending rises (or falls) in a certain way based on the laws establishing those programs. There'll be the odd varying assumption about how many people will choose to work for longer or how much healthcare inflation can be reduced but that's just different assumptions (or dodgy accounting). But if you want to spend less on Social Security or Medicare you reform them, until then any budget has to account for them based on the current law?
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Obama proposes more money for cybersecurity.

The US Army has created new military occupation called "Cyber Network Defender". I am going to sign up.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2013, 06:32:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2013, 04:58:37 PM
Dinkins wasn't horrible.
:yeahright: He paved the way for Giuliani.  That by itself is unforgivable.

So you and Spiess are in agreement then.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?