'Hermit' nabbed after 27 years — and 1,000 burglaries — in woods of Maine

Started by jimmy olsen, April 11, 2013, 03:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

27 years? I'm not buying it.  :hmm:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/10/17691737-hermit-nabbed-after-27-years-and-1000-burglaries-in-woods-of-maine?lite

Quote'Hermit' nabbed after 27 years — and 1,000 burglaries — in woods of Maine

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

A hermit who lived in the woods of Maine for 27 years was arrested breaking into a camp and admitted to more than 1,000 burglaries, police said Wednesday.

Christopher Knight left home when he was 19 and his family never reported him missing. He's been holed up ever since at a makeshift camp near Rome — stealing essentials from nearby camps.

"He never left the woods," Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland said.

Knight, now 47, was carrying $300 in cash when he was arrested -- his "emergency fund" -- but never spent any money.

"Everything at his campsite was stolen except his eyeglasses. He had clothing, food, tools, propane tanks, a tent, sleeping bags -- everything you'd need to subsist on for almost three decades," McCausland said.

The man dubbed the North Pond Hermit gave no explanation for why he dropped out of society, though he was a fan of the adventure book "Robinson Crusoe. Police said it was unclear why no one had come upon him in a quarter of a century.

"This is not a remote, desolate site," McCausland said. "This is not in the deep Maine woods. He was within a mile of a traveled highway."

And he wasn't completely out of touch.

"He's obviously educated. He knew some current events," McCausland said, noting Knight had a portable radio.

"During the winter months, he didn't want to leave his camp because it would make tracks on the snow, so he read. All his books were stolen."

Police said he broke into nearby Pine Tree Camp at least 50 times. He was doing it again last Thursday morning when he set off an alarm system and was nabbed, police said.

Erin Rice, the marketing director for the camp for disabled adults and children, said rumors of a thieving hermit had been around for years.

"It was like a legend. You heard the stories but never imagined it was true," she said. "It's really troubling that things were stolen, but on the other hand, I feel really bad for this person who felt like they had to live in the woods for 27 years."

Knight is charged with the one burglary at Pine Tree, but since he confessed to so many others at dozens of camps, police are consulting with prosecutors about more charges.

"He is doing well in his new environment, which happens to be a jail cell," McCausland said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tamas

:lol:

"a legend" living within a mile of civilization. "was educated in current events" shocking!

seriously its like they want to sell this hobo living a mile from a highway as that Siberian family recently featured in the news. Puhleaze

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2013, 06:02:50 AM
:lol:

"a legend" living within a mile of civilization. "was educated in current events" shocking!

seriously its like they want to sell this hobo living a mile from a highway as that Siberian family recently featured in the news. Puhleaze

Nah, they are doing it to out do the Nazi who did the samething back in Idaho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

I saw that in the news yesterday. Hunters had seen his camp, and the locals knew of him. It must have been damn cold living in a tent during winter in the Maine woods!