Anyone on Languish who does taxes for a living? In the US?

Started by Berkut, April 10, 2013, 10:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I don't know if anyone does. If they do, can they answer what I would think is a very simple question:

Do we need to file a tax return for a deceased relative who died in 2012 (early January 2012) if the net result of the return is certainly going to be that she owed no taxes?

Basically, my wife's mother passed away last year on January 5th. She has some trivial amount of income for 2012, like a few hundred dollars, which of course is not going to result in any tax liability.

Do we need to actually file a return for her anyway?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Not a tax professional, but my guess is no. I think the income threshold to require filing is somewhere over $3000. I could be wrong.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 10, 2013, 10:50:09 AM
Not a tax professional, but my guess is no. I think the income threshold to require filing is somewhere over $3000. I could be wrong.

Yeah I've always been under the same impression.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I know you don't have to file, barring "special circumstances" if your income is less than $11,200, which of course it is - her only income is a single social security check for January, and that isn't taxable anyway.

The question is that she had some stock that was sold on her behalf - it is a small amount, less than $1000, but is that stock sale separately taxable?

I actually just got a response from a tax person - it is not, because it is income for her beneficiaries, since it was sold after she was deceased. So she has no reprtable income, much less none more than $11,200, so we don't have to file a return at all after all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2013, 05:51:53 PM
How original.  :rolleyes:
just because it's old and oft used doesn't mean it's not funny. Whose on first and what not.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.