Main Menu

South Africa to Maggie: Good riddance

Started by Martinus, April 09, 2013, 07:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteMargaret Thatcher Receives Critical Eulogy From South Africa
By Jason Cherkis
Posted: 04/08/2013 5:59 pm EDT  |  Updated: 04/08/2013 6:15 pm EDT

WASHINGTON -- Margaret Thatcher's death on Monday at 87 has brought tributes from all over the world.

All over the world, that is, except for South Africa. Going against overwhelming mainstream sentiment, Thatcher refused to impose sanctions on South Africa's apartheid regime and went so far as to describe the African National Congress in 1987 as terrorists. "Anyone who thinks it is going to run the government in South Africa is living in cloud-cuckoo land," she said of the ANC at the time.

The ANC might have ground its teeth raw producing its statement on her death. "Her passing signals the end of a generation of leaders that ruled during a very difficult period characterised by the dynamics of the Cold War," said ANC spokesman Jackson Mthembu. "She was one of the strong leaders in Britain and Europe, to an extent that some of her policies dominate discourse in the public service structures of the world."

By invoking "public service structures," Mthembu is referring to Thatcher's relentless and largely successful push to privatize transportation, pensions and other government-controlled elements -- policies the ANC opposed in general.

Pallo Jordan, a once-exiled ANC leader, was more direct. He told the Guardian: "Good riddance."

"I've just sent a letter of congratulations," Jordan said. "I say good riddance. She was a staunch supporter of the apartheid regime. She was part of the right wing alliance with Ronald Reagan that led to a lot of avoidable deaths."

The last South African president under apartheid, F.W. de Klerk, praised Thatcher for siding with his regime. De Klerk's government, like Thatcher's, eventually bowed to the inevitable and backed away from South Africa's racial segregation policy. De Klerk took pains in his statement to posthumously crown Thatcher a "steadfast critic" of apartheid."

"Although she was always a steadfast critic of apartheid, she had a much better grasp of the complexities and geo-strategic realities of South Africa than many of her contemporaries," de Klerk said in a statement. "She consistently, and correctly, believed that much more could be achieved through constructive engagement with the South African government than through draconian sanctions and isolation."

He concluded his statement by saying "I am honoured to have had Margaret Thatcher as a friend."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08/margaret-thatcher-south-africa-_n_3039649.html

Neil

Meh.  It's not like apartheid was a bad thing.  Just look at the disaster that is South Africa today.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quoteand went so far as to describe the African National Congress in 1987 as terrorists.
"Anyone who thinks it is going to run the government in South Africa is living in cloud-cuckoo land," she said of the ANC at the time.

OK, so she went 1 for 2.

Josquius

Thatcher was a bitch, film at 11.

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2013, 07:31:52 AM
Meh.  It's not like apartheid was a bad thing.  Just look at the disaster that is South Africa today.
As opposed to the bigger disaster it was then?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2013, 07:46:01 AM

It what way was it a bigger disaster?

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2013, 07:47:18 AM
My guess:  Not enough coal mines.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Gups

They hadn't been able to play proper test cricket for decades.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Shittier in practically every way for most of the population.
Even most white South Africans agree things are better now than 20-odd years ago.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2013, 08:42:49 AM
Even most white South Africans agree things are better now than 20-odd years ago.

Really? Any of these white South Africans still there that aren't charged with murdering their model girlfriends?

20-odd years ago, I seem to recall a South Africa that was the only sub-Saharan modern state with a nuclear energy program, a robust arms export model, and the highest per capita income in sub-Saharan Africa for the black population, despite apartheid and wage controls.

Now it's the largest welfare state on the continent, has an obscene crime rate due to gun ownership bans, and elects presidents that think AIDS can be cured by fucking pre-teen girls.

Yeah.  Better now.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2013, 08:52:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2013, 08:42:49 AM

Really? Any of these white South Africans still there that aren't charged with murdering their model girlfriends?

20-odd years ago, I seem to recall a South Africa that was the only sub-Saharan modern state with a nuclear energy program, a robust arms export model, and the highest per capita income in sub-Saharan Africa for the black population, despite apartheid and wage controls.

Now it's the largest welfare state on the continent, has an obscene crime rate due to gun ownership bans, and elects presidents that think AIDS can be cured by fucking pre-teen girls.

Yeah.  Better now.

South Africa as a developed country was always a lie. Though is it not still the richest African country? Certainly well up there, and if not then I'd imagine that's more due to some others rising than it falling.

I didn't say South Africa is a nice country. I certainly don't want to visit and get shot. But that's not what better means.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2013, 08:57:47 AM
South Africa as a developed country was always a lie.

It is in Africa, after all.

QuoteI didn't say South Africa is a nice country. I certainly don't want to visit and get shot. But that's not what better means.

You say it's better off now than it was.  Meh.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2013, 08:40:46 AM
The ANC's response is very classy.

Yeah, under the circumstances I thought they handled it well.

One dude said good riddance so Marty entitled the thread suggesting that was South Africa's official response. :rolleyes:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 09:14:50 AM

Yeah, under the circumstances I thought they handled it well.

One dude said good riddance so Marty entitled the thread suggesting that was South Africa's official response. :rolleyes:

That's how you title articles on the internet. Now I have to figure out how to be paid per click on my threads. :P

Agelastus

I agree. Very well worded; just the right phrasing to get by without actually paying tribute at all.

Something some of our own countrymen could take a lesson from.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."